Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Officials proposing Tolls on Rt 422 for a Rail Line

Thought this was interesting for those that live in the greater King of Prussia area. My editorial to follow the article:

http://www.readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=126290

Tolls on Route 422 could put rail line into Berks on track
    Officials to study how best to fund train service from Wyomissing to Norristown

By Darrin Youker

Reading Eagle

Could toll booths on Route 422 help pay for a passenger train service from Norristown to Wyomissing?

Transportation planners believe the concept is worth further exploration.

Montgomery County officials want to look at funding options for train service into Berks County, and one of those options is collect tolls on the highway between Douglassville and King of Prussia.

The service would have three stops in Berks: Monocacy, Seventh and Franklin streets and Wyomissing.

Transportation officials stress the idea is still just that - an idea.

Leo D. Bagley, a Montgomery County transportation planner, and other local officials are expected to release preliminary details of their investigation of how to establish rail service in the area at a press conference this morning at 10 in Norristown.

Bagley could not be reached for comment Thursday.

State Rep. David Kessler, an Oley Township Democrat, said the concept of tolling Route 422 warrants further study. A regional rail line is perhaps the best way to alleviate the chronic traffic backups on the highway, he said.

"We have to look at this for the future," he said. "We have to get back to transit."

Bagley and other Montgomery County officials have been studying a scaled-down version of the Schuylkill Valley Metro, called the R-6 extension. SEPTA's R-6 regional rail line currently ends in Norristown.

There's been no decision about who would operate the extension. The train would use existing Norfolk Southern tracks, officials said.

Funding for the proposed $2 billion Schuylkill Valley Metro, which would have taken riders from Wyomissing to center city Philadelphia, never materialized.

Montgomery officials are looking at the R-6 study as a last-ditch effort to offer rail service in the region.

Getting federal funding to pay for the bulk of the R-6 extension is not realistic, and that forced planners to look at alternatives, said Alan D. Piper, Berks County transportation planner.

"It does not do you any good unless you can find a way to pay for it," he said.

On Thursday, Berks County commissioners supported a revenue study on the rail extension, agreeing to provide up to $20,000. Commissioner Mark C. Scott, board chairman, said BARTA likely will provide the county's share of the study.

State and federal resources for infrastructure projects are becoming scarce, so communities should look at alternative ways to pay for transportation, said Commissioner Kevin S. Barnhardt.

"I don't think people should eliminate the idea out of hand because of the tolling," he said.

Dennis D. Louwerse, BARTA executive director, said he will ask his board of directors on Monday about providing money for the study.

Louwerse said he believes the R-6 extension presents a realistic option to restoring train service in the region.

"In my opinion, we are in a better spot than we have ever been," Louwerse said. "We are back on track and now we need to see where it goes."

Contact Darrin Youker: 610-371-5032 or dyouker@readingeagle.com
    They're talking about placing tolls on what is probably THE most traveled public road for people that live in this area. It's next to impossible to travel East or West in an expedient manner without using Rt. 422. And the gem to me is that the tolls won't even go to improve and maintain the road! So, while the highway falls apart, the money collected will fund the construction of a rail line which hasn't been able to get traction through other means. They haven't had enough support for referendum or legislation in the past, but tolls are gonna be received with open arms?

I know wealth distribution is a really hot topic right about now, but I have a novel idea: how about funding a rail line with fees from those who would actually want to use the rail service?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: Officials proposing Tolls on Rt 422 for a Rail Line

I feel a call to Kessler's office coming on NOW!
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Berks County)

I just spoke to Dave Kessler about the article and about his position on the plan. First though I would like to commend him for returning my call within 2 hours, that is what I call responsiveness and that is how a public servant should respond to a constituent. The bottom line here is that his comments were taken out of context in the article, hmmm the press using someone's statements out of context. He was impressed with the presentation, and from what he told me much of it made sense, however he is very leary of funding a project such as this in the manner that is inferred by the article and would like to see what comes from the study, another two years, before committing to anything.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Mifflin County)

I get so sick of this type of crap. Here's an idea, fund the rail line (and other "public transportation" by charging the people who USE IT. Why the hell should the rest of us have to subsidize it?

(Delaware County)

Governments live for new revenue streams. Now that it's been thought of, it is only a matter of time until implementation.

(Northampton County)

I get so sick of this type of crap. Here's an idea, fund the rail line (and other "public transportation" by charging the people who USE IT. Why the hell should the rest of us have to subsidize it?
    In that case there would be little if any public transportation anywhere. I know of no public transportation system in the US that can support itself. If the rail line was to become operational would the traffic on rt 422 not be reduced making it easier for drivers?? The toll would be the price of an easier drive.

If the fed gov was not giving our tax dollars,by the billions,to large banks & automakers,perhaps transportation infrastructure projects could be funded.

Darn, now I'm sorry I moved. I would have just LOVED to get to pay cold hard cash, for driving a poorly maintained road back and forth to work every day. Actually, "drive" may be a tad optimistic, considering that it took me 45 minutes to an hour to go the 11 miles to work. And I have radical doubts that the trains would help that situation. If you want to toll 422, how bout using the cash to expand it to a 3 lane each way from Oaks on, which would get rid of a big chunk of the congestion.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Darn, now I'm sorry I moved. I would have just LOVED to get to pay cold hard cash, for driving a poorly maintained road back and forth to work every day. Actually, "drive" may be a tad optimistic, considering that it took me 45 minutes to an hour to go the 11 miles to work. And I have radical doubts that the trains would help that situation. If you want to toll 422, how bout using the cash to expand it to a 3 lane each way from Oaks on, which would get rid of a big chunk of the congestion.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't want to see tolls at all, but I'd rather seem them go to improving the road instead of having drivers on that road subsidizing the construction of a mode of transportation they may not use.

In addition, I think the toll idea is a red herring anyway, because it's going to cost money to install the toll plazas along the highway. So, the money collected for the first few years likely won't even go to the rail line anyway; it will go to paying back the installation of the tolls. It will amount to money spent, and taken from us, for nothing.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by reverserboy View Post
    In that case there would be little if any public transportation anywhere. I know of no public transportation system in the US that can support itself.
    That, to me, is one more reason NOT to build the damn thing. If it can't support itself, it's not really needed, now is it?

(Lebanon County)

Well this is just....I'd like to say unbelievable but is it really? My only question is "what's next"? What a bunch of bullshit. *sigh*

Completely OT but ChamberedRound I never noticed your location before. You're "right next door" and my husband works in Berks County.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast