Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default building an AR-pistol

hey guys,

I am thinking about building my first AR, and possibly a pistol so I can play with it until I get the cash for a SBR stamp (and during the painfully long wait time).

any suggestions on kits?
    any one build one recently and have a total cost? I am guessing around $700 if I can get a stripped lower for $125 and a LPK for $75, but again, I don't know what a pistol kit would cost?

Also, can someone confirm my assumption that I do not need to do anything special to the lower receiver to use it as a pistol? (aka, I can just buy a lower and not worry about registering it as a pistol or anything, correct?)

Thanks

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: building an AR-pistol

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    Also, can someone confirm my assumption that I do not need to do anything special to the lower receiver to use it as a pistol?
    You must use a lower that has never been assembled into a rifle.. So using a new rcvr from the manufacturer, no. Nothing more to do.
    More info:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/rifles-42/449...tml#post605923

(aka, I can just buy a lower and not worry about registering it as a pistol or anything, correct?)
    There is no registration in Pa. (prohibited by law, 18Pa.C.S.6111.4)

If you are referring to the form SP4-113 that is filled out when purchasing/transferring a handgun through a FFL then no. Not required and not possible to do one on a receiver since a receiver is not a handgun by Pa. law.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; February 20th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

The cost for a pistol is no different from the cost of building a rifle, except for the cost of the Stock. Everything is basically the same. I don't believe that the shorter barrel is really much less than a standard 16".

Now ... if your looking to do a 9mm AR pistol, that's a little different.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Delaware County)

any suggestions on kits?
    any one build one recently and have a total cost? I am guessing around $700 if I can get a stripped lower for $125 and a LPK for $75, but again, I don't know what a pistol kit would cost?
    I'd avoid Model1Sales if you need it assembled right the first time. The upper I got from them had the front sight tower on crooked.

Where can you still get lowers for $125? Except maybe mail order, where you have to pay for shipping and a transfer, the going rate seems to be $175 or more. rguns.net had DPMS lower parts kits for $55. Everyone was out of 9mm bolts and complete uppers a couple months ago, not sure if that's changed.

Make sure what you order is in stock. A lot of black rifle stuff is sold out due to panic buying after the election.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.