Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Court House question...

So I had to take care of some business at the courthouse yesterday. When I got to the door I told the man at the metal detector I had to check a firearm, he looked at me funny, then I said again I have to check a firearm. He looked at me a little confused with a "where is it" kind of look, like I was just gonna walk in there with a gun in my hand.

When its cold I generally don't OC. I'm one of those people that if the weather warrants OC, I'll OC, if not, then I'll throw the jacket on. I was CCing at the time.

Well he said upholster it an unload it... which I did. It felt weird as he sat there starring at me. Another man walked up an asked why I carry that. I told him that I carry it everywhere... he kind of glared at me. Then asked if I had a permit for it... again I said yes, went thru the detector while the other guy put the gun in the lockbox, gave me the key and I filled out the book.

I gave the man asking me questions a flyer, and went about my business. Is it just me or do they seem to make it as painstaking and humiliating as possible to check a firearm at the courthouse? When Greg and I checked our guns at the State Capital last April, we didn't have nearly as much trouble as I did yesterday.

Has anyone else had the same problem?
    Last edited by Pro2A; February 20th, 2009 at 10:33 AM.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Court House question...

I have never had this issue, only because I normally lock it in the car. I have never witnessed anyone at the Lehigh County court house have and item secured and was not 100% sure that offered that service.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofgore View Post
    I have never had this issue, only because I normally lock it in the car. I have never witnessed anyone at the Lehigh County court house have and item secured and was not 100% sure that offered that service.
    Well I know by law they have to provide a lock box for firearms.

Well, I have to go to jury duty in the near future at the Allegheny County Courthouse, so I'll let you know how it goes for me when I check my firearm there. I've never been through the process myself yet, as the only other time I've been to a courthouse was to apply for my LTCF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    ... Well he said upholster it an unload it... which I did. It felt weird as he sat there starring at me.
    I would have told him, "I don't cover my gun in fabric for anybody!"

So sorry, man. I just had to get that in there

Positive rep sent to you.

i checked mine at franklin county a few months back. i walked in and said ill be checking something, then pulled it out in the holster and put it in the box. since i pulled the holster out he didnt make me clear it.

i got a key, used the pisser, got my papers i was there for and left with no issues after getting my pistol back.
    This Space For Rent

(Luzerne County)

Had an issue several months ago at the Luzerne county court where the rent a cop told me the lockers were for LEO only, but got that resolved, now no problems they don't even ask me to clear the weapon, just tell me to put it in the locker and take the key. SO nice of them.

(Mercer County)

Mercer County courthouse has no detectors. No guards, either. Just a nice lady at the information desk.

Come to think of it, I've never spotted any lockers, either.

Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Mercer County courthouse has no detectors. No guards, either. Just a nice lady at the information desk.

Come to think of it, I've never spotted any lockers, either.

Hmmmm...
    I trust that you're aware that the law applies to all courthouses, not just the ones where they provide guards to make sure you're in compliance?

If you're discovered carrying a firearm in a courthouse, even with a valid LTCF, you've violated the law and can be prosecuted. There should be signs telling you this at the entrance.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I trust that you're aware that the law applies to all courthouses, not just the ones where they provide guards to make sure you're in compliance?

If you're discovered carrying a firearm in a courthouse, even with a valid LTCF, you've violated the law and can be prosecuted. There should be signs telling you this at the entrance.
    Yes, I'm aware...but thanks for the refresher. Actually, I've never seen a "no gun" sign on the door - and I was just up there a week ago. I'll be up there next week, so I'll check again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast