Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Question All Guns Banned in 10 Years

You know I'm right about this. If you don't believe me find any 8'th grade kid and ask him or her if they hunt, or what they know about gun safety. I'm only in my 30's and when I was growing up we had hunter's safety offered at 6'th grade--every school was like that. Other schools with the population to support it had rifle teams. Now, the hunter's safety is gone from schools and any mention of a rifle results amlost immediately in police involvement.

It's time to focus on the kids. The political battles we face now are minor compared to what we'll see in 5-10 years. Those kids are growing up to vote.

I think we need to write our school boards and pro 2A reps at the state and federal level to ask for the return of hunters safety classes in schools--that's step one. We also need to see a return of the rifle teams. How might we start getting those re-instated?

(Chester County)

Default Re: All Guns Banned in 10 Years

I agree with you. The future of our second amendment rights lay directly in the hands of our kids. We do need to bring back things like hunter's safety, rifle teams, even things like parent/kid nights at local ranges where classes can be given to both the parents and the children on firearm safety and bring them together. I would GLADLY volunteer to help out in such programs and even give to them. I just don't know how to get them started.

Heck I would volunteer, and I have no free time.

I think it is a good idea. The school did not offer the hunter's safety, but the Wildlife Department did use the gym on the weekends a couple times a year. But, then there came the gun free school zones act. They weren't allowed to bring the guns onto school property, because most instructors were not LEO. So, they moved it to the VFW or the Volunteer Fire Dept Hall.
    Quote Originally Posted by IceFire View Post
    Sgt....Do NOT piss off the wife, do NOT piss off the wife!
    Army Strong

These are my opinions, my opinions only. If you are offended, please, please, call Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton, I would like the notoriety.

(York County)

I think you'd have to start the program out pretty strict to get it to pass. For example only LEO instucters, only .22 rifles etc. Then once the program was started you could try to get other instucters and guns. Thinking realistically that may be the only way you would have a chance in modern day America.

(Westmoreland County)

I can believe if they try to do this. It would be impossible it would be like fighting terrorism all over again except for it would be american citizens.

(Montgomery County)

Schools are controlled by school boards. We need to run for a seat on the school board. Grill people running for school board and fight anyone who will not support the 2ed. Just like we do the people who run for state office's.

Also the people in Harrisburg did not start out at the state level. They started at the local level. And we have to start putting the heat to them on that level.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsKitty View Post
    The future of our second amendment rights lay directly in the hands of our kids. We do need to bring back things like hunter's safety, rifle teams...
    I agree 100%. However, I would like to point out that not all school students are mindless sheep. Some can even read the Constitution with greater comprehension than certain federal judges, LOL! I grew up in a suburban town and never even touched a gun, but I'm still strongly pro-2A. Still, I recognize that many other kids are taken in by the demonization of guns, and the best way to acquire a healthy respect for firearms is to actually practice with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    We need to run for a seat on the school board. Grill people running for school board and fight anyone who will not support the 2ed.
    Yes, school boards are an excellent target. However, I think we need to tread very carefully here, especially in non-rural areas: most parents are deeply concerned for the safety of their children, and sometimes emotions can overrun rational thought. We need to portray gun-positive school programs as enhancing safety. (E.g., the "forbidden fruit" argument: If we let our children satisfy their curiosity about guns under adult supervision, then they will be less likely to experiment with a gun on their own.)
    Last edited by awkx; April 16th, 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added something

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    You know I'm right about this. If you don't believe me find any 8'th grade kid and ask him or her if they hunt, or what they know about gun safety. I'm only in my 30's and when I was growing up we had hunter's safety offered at 6'th grade--every school was like that. Other schools with the population to support it had rifle teams. Now, the hunter's safety is gone from schools and any mention of a rifle results amlost immediately in police involvement.

It's time to focus on the kids. The political battles we face now are minor compared to what we'll see in 5-10 years. Those kids are growing up to vote.

I think we need to write our school boards and pro 2A reps at the state and federal level to ask for the return of hunters safety classes in schools--that's step one. We also need to see a return of the rifle teams. How might we start getting those re-instated?
    I posted a similar sentiment in the thread "are the anti winning" And could not agree more.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    We also need to see a return of the rifle teams. How might we start getting those re-instated?
    I've been hinting at the idea of starting a rifle team at a school in my area, but after today's VaTech incident I can assume any mention of it will get shot down (no pun intended).
    I was on my high school's rifle team and shot in 3rd position out of 24 team members. It was a great experience, and generally, the brighter and/or more mature students were the participants. We had 24 kids runing around with rifles, many with two of 'em, and nobody got shot. I had a nice Anshutz, and a goverment grant Remmington. We could even take them home with a school-supplied brick of ammo for weekend practice!

(Montgomery County)

Even IF we were able to get any kind of pro-gun interest back in schools, the parents would NEVER allow that.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast