Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Cheytac m200

(Lebanon County)

Default Cheytac m200

Does anyone have any info. on the M200 or seen, shot one ane what is the price, I checked out their website, but it just gives specs.

Default Re: Cheytac m200

Hmmm, as a new member, makes me a bit curious about your intentions. What would you like to know about the rifle? Is there a particular caliber that you'd like to know about? Are you interested in buying one or just knowing more information about it? Do you want a legit M200 or something in the same caliber, or similar? I'll just say straight up, over $10,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Hmmm, as a new member, makes me a bit curious about your intentions. What would you like to know about the rifle? Is there a particular caliber that you'd like to know about? Are you interested in buying one or just knowing more information about it? Do you want a legit M200 or something in the same caliber, or similar? I'll just say straight up, over $10,000.
    probably saw it on future weapons

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    No intentions, don't want to own one, I was just curious, call it a Marine thing.

(Philadelphia County)

My friend has one, he got it a few years ago. I never shot it, but I have seen it. It is the the same rifle that was in the movie "Shooter", and it is chambered in .408. The rifle cost him just over $10,000, and he went to Idaho where the Cheyanne Tactical facility is, and had to take a training course on the rifle before he was able to actually take it with him.
    It is very badass.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; February 20th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Ronnie gave some good info, and yes the rifles are usually chambered in .408 Cheytac. Alot of people don't know this, but the .416 Barrett is actually the same caliber, but it just depends on if you're going by the groove or bore diameter. Barrett wanted to have their own number I guess, so they went by the groover diameter, while Cheytac went by the land diameter. There is another caliber that is a Cheytac chambering that is actually getting to be even more popular than the .408 and that is the .375 CT (Cheytac). They took the .408 and necked it down to .375, so that the bullet starts out faster and was extending the supersonic range a few hundred yards further. Once you get into the trans sonic range is where accuracy will deteriorate, and so it's why alot of the Ultra LR guys are using the .375. There are a few makers of brass, and different makers of different bullet designs. They're all VERY expensive, and not all the brass has good quality control, so people are having to be careful on what they're doing. I've heard stories of some brass from some companies weighing 10-12 grains different from another piece of brass that came in the same package; completely unacceptable for long range shooting.

I'm not sure if you are familiar with the system, it's not really "new", been around hundreds of years, but it's something that is now being experimented with now that humans have greater machining tolerances. Gain twist barrels are what is on the M200, I'm not sure who they're using now (it's changed a few times over the years), but I know most of the people going with custom tubes are having them made by Lawton Machine. The people that are pushing the limits in terms of distance with this rifle are using solid lathe turned bullets that are made with a brass/copper alloy which have driving bands. The bullet itself isn't actually engraved by the lands, but one of the driving bands is cut by the rifling, and the last band acting as the pressure seal. It's all very complicated, but the new thing that people are experimenting with.

If you were interested in an expensive, but "cheaper" alternative to the M200, you should consider the EDM Windrunner. The actions look slightly different, but from what I have heard are identical besides a few corners that have been changed, etc. There was a big falling out in Cheyenne Tactical years back between the owners. Apparently there was litigation, but they settled out of court with certain people sharing certain rights, and just splitting up. So they're basically the same technology from different owners that went their seperate ways. Obviously this is the condensed version and it's not completely accurate, but you get the idea. The nice thing about the Windrunners is that they are switch barrels, and you can have one that will work for .375 CT, .408 CT, .50 BMG, .338 Lapua, etc. Obviously this means that you have to change bolts and barrels, and sometimes magazines; but it is possible to do these changes quickly and in the field. The Windrunner basically loooks like the M200 intervention rifle, but without the free float tube and the bipod being extended out there. It does change the balance point of the rifle, and changes the recoil impulse (for worse), so that the muzzle climbs more on the shot. I sometimes speak to one of the designers and testers of the M200 and he has come out with a free float tube that is near identical to the M200's free float tube that will fit the windrunners and restore them to look and function of the M200. They're not cheap (we're talking over a grand if you want the bipod also), but it still makes the cost of the Windrunner cheaper than the M200. I don't know exactly what they're going for right now, but anyway, it's something to consider and just throw out there. Hope that helps and if there's some more info that I can provide, please let me know. I have ballistics tables as well for the .416 Barrett, .408 CT, and .375 CT.

P.S. Here's a link to a .408 Windrunner in case you were curious about what theirs looks like. Look around at their page, they list prices straight up. It'll also help you understand what I mean about the free float tube. http://02bfe1c.netsolhost.com/products/m408.htm
    Last edited by Tomcat088; February 20th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.