Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Does 8mm = 8mm Mauser?

A friend wants to get some ammo for his 8mm Mauser. For example, sportsmansguide has this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=504818
    Is this for his Mauser, it doesn't say 8mm Mauser and I just want to make sure that it is the same stuff. Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Does 8mm = 8mm Mauser?

Most likely that is what he needs to feed his Mauser. Most 8mm Mausers are actually 8x57mm caliber. That looks like the right stuff.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Montgomery County)

Or if you want to get TRULY picky, it is 7.92x57mm. But yes, most 8mm surplus you run across will be 8mm Mauser. There is other stuff like 8x56 but that is a very fat cartridge and would be pretty recognizable.

Enjoy!

If his is a 8x57 that would be the right ammo. If you gave us a little more info we could be sure.

I stocked up on this Yugo ammo a few years ago when it was about 1/3 the price it is now. Very good ammo but remenber it is corrosive so clean well after shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Early Mauser models had a .318 bore...."J" bore, I believe it was called. It's dangerous to fire regular (.323) 8mm ammo in a J-bore rifle. If his gun is a 98 mauser he's OK. I'm not sure exactly which models had the J-bore.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

I'm not sure exactly which models had the J-bore.

I believe the 88 Mauser originally had the J (.318) bore and many were converted to the S (.323) bore. There were sporting rifles made in both bore sizes.

As I said above with a bit miore info on thr rifle we could be sure what he has.

Sorry for the delayed response. It was tough to get a hold of him to find out some more info, but here is what the rifle has on it: model 98, and 9404 stamped several places

Quote Originally Posted by Bib View Post
    Early Mauser models had a .318 bore...."J" bore, I believe it was called. It's dangerous to fire regular (.323) 8mm ammo in a J-bore rifle. If his gun is a 98 mauser he's OK. I'm not sure exactly which models had the J-bore.
    The early 88 Comission rifles were originally .318, which is the "J" bore, and it is dangerous to fire the .323 8mm rounds through them.
    I have a 88 comission rifle that has been sporterized, and it is a very elegant rifle.
    The rifles that have been re-bored to fire the .323 cartridge have an "S" stamped on the top of the receiver where the barrel butts to the receiver.
    "S" stands for spitzer, but I forget what the "J" stands for.
    The 88 Comission rifles were actually not considered to be a Mauser, as Mauser did not participate in the designing of this weapon, However, they are still listed in the Mauser section of most bolt action books.
    I really love mine

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Man View Post
    The early 88 Comission rifles were originally .318, which is the "J" bore, and it is dangerous to fire the .323 8mm rounds through them.
    I have a 88 comission rifle that has been sporterized, and it is a very elegant rifle.
    The rifles that have been re-bored to fire the .323 cartridge have an "S" stamped on the top of the receiver where the barrel butts to the receiver.
    "S" stands for spitzer, but I forget what the "J" stands for.
    The 88 Comission rifles were actually not considered to be a Mauser, as Mauser did not participate in the designing of this weapon, However, they are still listed in the Mauser section of most bolt action books.
    I really love mine
    S indeed stands for "Spitzer" or "Spitzgeschoß" (meaning "pointed bullet")
    The "J" is actually a misnomer... it's really an "I" for "Infanterie" ("infantry") - we mistook the "I" for a "J" due to the gothic German printing.