Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default PISTOL MALFUNCTION CLEARANCE..

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

(Clarion County)

Default Re: PISTOL MALFUNCTION CLEARANCE..

Not exactly what I was taught! I guess either is ok though,tap,rack,shoot,
    vs eject,new mag ,rack, shoot ! ...........?This thread has been debated before but I'm just not sure whitch is better !
    I was taught to assume a mag. problem but the smack,rack, is faster unless the problem is with the mag.......????
    What to do,what to do .??
    Last edited by dman; February 20th, 2009 at 08:27 AM.

(Allegheny County)

I was taught to tap, rack, shoot first. Then a mag exchange second. Of course if it a stove pipe the method is different.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Berks County)

Heck, I could never get used to the whole 'over the top' grip to rack a slide. Both instinctive, and logically, I tilt the gun towards my off hand, grab the slide with thumb and forefinger, and rack by pushing grip forward and through.

Each their own.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Heck, I could never get used to the whole 'over the top' grip to rack a slide. Both instinctive, and logically, I tilt the gun towards my off hand, grab the slide with thumb and forefinger, and rack by pushing grip forward and through.

Each their own.
    i used to use a similar technique. then giles stock (along with tonyf and peteg) convinced me of the folly of my ways...by reminding me of how gravity works.

you have a bad round...or an empty case...somewhere in the area of the chamber causing a problem. it may already be partly or completely extracted, but not ejected. so, the extractor may not be still on the lip and the case is not going to hit the ejector to be ejected. thus, you have to rely on gravity to actually move the case/bad round. gravity will only move it down...

you want the case/bad round to fall *out* of the gun...not back into it. thus, you really want the ejection port facing down, rather than up. this means rotating the gun toward your strong hand. rotating the gun toward your strong hand, in turn, means that, for most people at least, it is going to be much easier to grab the slide in an "overhand" position as opposed to a "slingshot" position just because of the physiology of your forearm/wrist.

different people have different opinions and reasons, though, of course. i am not saying "this is the right way"...only that i used to use the slingshot method similar to what you describe, but was then convinced that another method was superior in my mind at least. just something to think about.

btw, this puts a "roll" into the tap/rack/bang method which actually makes it work for stovepipes as well (as the spent casing falls out of the gun, rather than back into it). tap/roll/rack/bang (or assess instead of bang depending on the situation and who you ask).

still doesn't work for double-feeds, though.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    i used to use a similar technique. then giles stock (along with tonyf and peteg) convinced me of the folly of my ways...by reminding me of how gravity works.

you have a bad round...or an empty case...somewhere in the area of the chamber causing a problem. it may already be partly or completely extracted, but not ejected. so, the extractor may not be still on the lip and the case is not going to hit the ejector to be ejected. thus, you have to rely on gravity to actually move the case/bad round. gravity will only move it down...

you want the case/bad round to fall *out* of the gun...not back into it. thus, you really want the ejection port facing down, rather than up. this means rotating the gun toward your strong hand. rotating the gun toward your strong hand, in turn, means that, for most people at least, it is going to be much easier to grab the slide in an "overhand" position as opposed to a "slingshot" position just because of the physiology of your forearm/wrist.

different people have different opinions and reasons, though, of course. i am not saying "this is the right way"...only that i used to use the slingshot method similar to what you describe, but was then convinced that another method was superior in my mind at least. just something to think about.

btw, this puts a "roll" into the tap/rack/bang method which actually makes it work for stovepipes as well (as the spent casing falls out of the gun, rather than back into it). tap/roll/rack/bang (or assess instead of bang depending on the situation and who you ask).

still doesn't work for double-feeds, though.
    I'm with LRT on this. I was taught to roll the pistol as you perform the rack.
    Of course, I was taught by the same instructor

CHR, which way do you roll the pistol when you use the slingshot method? Are you right or left handed? Right handed would mean you roll the ejection port up where a round could fall back into the port. Left handed would be rolling the pistol port side down.

The advantage to using the method as was demonstrated is that you have a better grip on the slide and i personally think it is quicker to do a malf clearance by grasping the slide in the overhand method. Also notice he does not cover the ejection port as he grips the slide.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.