Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Another first gun thread.....

I am about to purchase my first, personally bought gun. I have a .22 henry lever action, but its a junior model and to small, and I also have a winchester 101 O/U in 20 gauge. I have around 500-600 dollars. I'd make a poll out of it but it would be to large with all the different combos.

I am mainly looking for a fun, accurate plinker. Heres what I am considering, all of your opinions would be appreciated.

Mini-14
    SKS
    Mosin Nagant
    10/22
    CZ 452 Lux
    Ruger single six
    Ruger Mark III hunter
    K98
    GSG-5
    Glock 17

And thats about it... My grandfather might be handing down a Ruger single six and a ruger mark I to me, so I think I might push those back.

Thanks
    FAL

Default Re: Another first gun thread.....

ahh, good choices but i only see a couple that id suggest for you. You already have a .22 rifle so i wouldnt get another. Your grandpa might at chance give you 1 or 2 .22 pistols which is why i wouldnt suggest a .22 pistol. That narrows it to what i would suggest which is the Ruger Mini, Glock 17, and if you can get one for 600 the SKS. Out of the following choices i would go the Glock route. At a close 2nd the Mini. I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 Hunter and i personally like shooting a rifle .22 rather than a pistol .22. I guess its because with a rifle im pretty darn accurate and i can shoot a .22 all day for 30 bucks, well for me it would probably be 15 since i dont shoot THAT much. Just my opinion, so take it if you want it.

Just saw that your .22 Henry is small for you but i still wouldnt get another .22 rifle
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Dauphin County)

GSG-5 or Ruger 10/22 are fun accurate plinker...

(Philadelphia County)

Right now I am really heavily leaning towards a Mini-14, if I can find one for $500 to $600 at the valley forge gun show coming up March 14th, then picking up a CZ 452 lux or Glock 17. Does anybody know of the going gunshow rate of Plain old Mini-14?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70308
    Just a quick search so i would guess that if you get one for 550 or under your getting a deal. They are nice rifles and to me feel better than a standard ar. Just throwing that out there. With the collapsible stock they are really trick looking
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Lebanon County)

The Ruger mini14, 10/22 and the sks are alot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by FAL View Post
    I am mainly looking for a fun, accurate plinker. Heres what I am considering, all of your opinions would be appreciated.
    (....)
    CZ 452 Lux
    (...)
    Glock 17
    I own a 452LUX and love it. It's a little pricy, but you get exactly what you pay for. It's a high quality rifle that'll shoot all day long. My LUX eats Remington bulk pack and Walmart's Federal Bulk pack (though the latter sometimes have issues feeding the final round). Of course, it also likes Federal match grade as a delicacy.

Regarding the G17, that's a 9mm. It's going to be rather more expensive to shoot than almost anything else on your list (relatively speaking). I'm a glock fan, so I think purchasing a glock is a great thing to do. I'm just not sure how well it'll serve as a plinker compared to the .22LR's you have up there. With that said, a glock bought is a glock loved.