Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Winchester Model 70 question

To any Winchester Model 70 experts:

I know someone who’s looking to sell a Model 70 Varmint Heavy Barrel in .308. 25.5” barrel. It appears to be in pretty nice shape. BUT he says it was bought new in 1990, still within the date range Winchester guys say the Model 70 wasn’t that good. The USRAC years. He wants $550 for it.

I’ve been looking for a .308 bolt action, heavy barrel would be nice, and yes I know there are other gun makes that are just as good or better.

Is a 1990 vintage Model 70 a worthwhile purchase for $550 or is not worth considering?

(Venango County)

Default Re: Winchester Model 70 question

Hmmm...sounds slightly high to me, but that's nowhere near anything like an expert opinion

I bought a 70 XTR in the mid 90's in .300 Win Mag for that same price......gun was 2 weeks old, and was fired exactly 4 times.....you can probably figure out why, LOL

that being said, I love my 70's...never had ANYTHING walk away from them....and my .300 is balls-on accurate...every time.....but YMMV...

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

Try asking that same question here: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...s.php?ubb=cfrm

The Hide guys know a lot about Rem 700's and Win 70's.

-Burnsie

The 90's model 70's were getting sloppy compared to the old ones. They were still damn good rifles that will shoot. Most Model 70 people differentiate them between Pre '64 and Post '64. This is when they changed how they did the extractor and the push feed system. The most desirables are usually the Pre '64's, but as you can see there's not too many of those around that don't get bought up quickly. I think that $550 is a bit high for a used bolt gun, but alot of people would still go for it. As you know, all the new Model 70's are no longer Winchester since the company went out of business. The rights for it got bought out by FN, and now they're selling the "new winchester Model 70". I haven't handled one of the new model 70's, so I can't speak for them. Either way, some people would view a real Winchester model 70, when winchester was winchester as a collectors item. This could be part of the reasoning behind why he wants $550 for the rifle. I think it's a bit high, but it's up to you man; either way, it's a good rifle.

(Dauphin County)

On the various auction sites it seems that the more desirable year M70's in heavy barrel variety are listed for closer to $1000!

From what I've read, 1990 used the less desirable extractor. In 1992, or somewhere around there, they switched to a similar to pre-'64 extractor.

I'm looking more for a shooter and not really a collector. If I bought a $1000 rifle I would be afraid of using it! Considering the new heavy Savages and Rems I've been looking at start around $550 I didn't think this Winchester was out of the realm of reason. I just don't want to buy it if they are pieces of crap with the Winchester name on them.

I'm also considering a Savage 10 tactical in .308 with scope for around the same price. Pre-Accutrigger. "Tacti-cool" is not the appeal here, just that it's a heavy bolt action in .308. A heavy barrel isn't absolutely necessary, but I don't plan to hunt with it, just punch paper. Last time I took my Model 88 to the range and ran some rounds through it I got the barrel entirely too hot and decided that I should pickup a gun that can handle repeat fires better and be less collectable/valuable.

(Bedford County)

If you dont want it, I'll take it.

Pre 64 and post 64 are the only things to worry about on the model 70. Push feed vs. mauser type controlled feeding.

I own quite a few of each, and both are good rifles. The mauser claw extractor is better, but the push feeds run just fine.....like a remington 700.

Quality, like any other company varied from year to year and lot run to lot run. In general, the model 70 was as good as Remington in any given year. I own pre-64's all the way up to rifles made just before the plant closing. Some are nicer than others, but all are quality rifles.

The only new rifles you would touch for $550 are the SPS Remington or a Savage variant. I'll take the model 70 every time.