Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Transfer gun to friend

What do I need to do what forms or fees

(Berks County)

Default Re: Transfer gun to friend

What kind of firearm? The requriements differ between long guns and handguns.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(York County)

We need more information: Is it a long gun or a hand gun? Is your friend in state or out of state?
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

(Lehigh County)

Bart - This has been covered many times in previous posts. In summary, a long gun is okay as long as BOTH of you are not prohibited and BOTH residents of PA. You might want to use the form posted in the classified section as well. If its a handgun it MUST go through an FFL.

IANAL - so look further into the multiple threads on this site. You need to provide more information before we can accurately asses your situation.
    Last edited by /dev/null; February 19th, 2009 at 11:49 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Rifle / Shotgun.... or Pistol?
    Are they from the same state?

i believe the following to be true and an overview of hte process.

If within the same state

If rifle / shotgun (and not a short barreled rifle, or short shotgun, full auto...etc)... sell it to them...might want to take note of the date and write down the license # for your records....but no requirement for official "transfer papers are needed.

If a pistol.... need to find a FFL or a Sheriff to execute the transfer. There is some paperwork and a background check (etc).

If outside the state...

Need to transfer via FFL for all weapons. Other restrictions may apply.

(Bucks County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

[B][COLOR="Sienna"]Incorrect (and dangerous) legal advice removed. Infraction issued. ~gnbrotz[/C

I meant to specify that handguns must go through ffl, but long guns do not require one. Only a valid in state drivers license. Sorry about the confusion.
    Last edited by admgraves; February 25th, 2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: meant to specify that handguns must go through ffl, but long guns do not require one. Only a valid in state drivers license.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by admgraves View Post
    Incorrect (and dangerous) legal advice removed. Infraction issued. ~gnbrotz
    admgraves - your "possibly" correct, but be sure your have all the facts before dispensing what may be inaccurate advice and potentially causing legal issues for our members. While transferring FTF is legal in Pennsylvania, this ONLY is true wiht long guns, and furthermore ONLY if both parties are residents of PA. If this happens to be a pistol it MUST go through a FLL like it or not. (added per knight0334 post indicates: Exceptions apply for transfers between spouses, child/parent and grandchild/grandparent...) While the PSP maintains a SALES database (at least thats what its called, and the PA Supreme Court has upheld its not registration... and I hear you loud and clear on this point), you still have to play by the rules. In short, be SURE that your know the missing pieces of this question - rifle/pistol, residency, etc. As the questions was posed, you (nor any of us) had enough to accurately answer this one.

Lets say I hypothetically transfer a pistol to you that I bought in PA a year ago.... and "forget" to go through a FLL. Furthermore that hypothetical pistol is used in a crime that you commit - and the gun's recovered. IM now in a heap of trouble because YOU might already be a felon who is ineligible. Do I really want to put myself at risk? I think not!

There is a system in place - know the rules adn follow them. While your comment sounds more like a frustration, it also comes across as giving inaccurate advice. Im NOT a lawyer, but with advice such as youve given your probably going to need one sooner than later. The board here has several, whom I wouldnt be surprised if one chimes in on this as well... so please research your facts before posting potentially horrifically bad information with detrimental consequences.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:16 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by admgraves View Post
    Incorrect (and dangerous) legal advice removed. Infraction issued. ~gnbrotz
    If it is a handgun in PA, you most certainly have to transfer it at a FFL or Sheriff. The State Police transfer form has to be filled out and a background check performed on the transferee. Exceptions apply for transfers between spouses, child/parent and grandchild/grandparent. There are penalties for those who transfer "firearms" without going through the proper procedures.

For interstate transfers, all handguns must go through a FFL in the transferee's home state. Long guns can be transferred at a FFL in either party's state. Exceptions apply for bequested and instestate succession transfers.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; February 23rd, 2009 at 06:16 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

This is for intrastate handgun transfers. Interstate handgun transfers must abide by federal and both state's laws. Long guns in PA can be sold between private person like you'd sell your used televisions - hassle free.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6111: Sale or transfer of firearms

(c) Duty of other persons.--Any person who is not a licensed importer, manufacturer or dealer and who desires to sell or transfer a firearm to another unlicensed person shall do so only upon the place of business of a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer or county sheriff's office, the latter of whom shall follow the procedure set forth in this section as if he were the seller of the firearm. The provisions of this section shall not apply to transfers between spouses or to transfers between a parent and child or to transfers between grandparent and grandchild.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:25 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!