Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default IWB holster set off metal detector at 13 and filbert

awkward moment for me, after i locked my gun in the car didn't think about my holster, I went into the CJ building. Check my phone, empty my pockets and for some reason i had like 4 lighters with me, then i walked thru the metal detectors. it beep, so i took of my belt, then i was like F! my holster didn't want to take it off and hoped that the screws are small enough that it won't beep, checked my pockets and tried again. beeped, so i had to take my holster off. the guards didn't care, i guess it happens often, but i was a little embarrassed. a lady guard said "check him good" but the other guard that waived me thru was talking to someone and didn't care. then she said it again, "check that guy good" then the guard responded, "after he took it off it didn't go" by now the line was backup and all those ppl knows i carry.
    then the lady cop asked where's the gun? I remembered reading that philly cops don't like guns in the car, so i said, "my buddy is in the car with it" then she asked what i carried. at this point i just want to get going and for some reason i said a sig 9, but i was carrying my taurus 45. she went on that the sig make good gun....and asked if i ever had to use it and why i carry.
    I felt like a loser. but did learn that you can check your weapon in, just make sure you got your LCTF with you.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: IWB holster set off metal detector at 13 and filbert

In addition to the screws, many IWB holsters have steel to stop the holster closing when you draw the gun. That might set the detectors off as well.

(Philadelphia County)

Don't feel bad. I was in the Federal Building in Philly this summer and put my bag through the machine, and I forgot I had two speedloaders w/ .38 Spl in it b/c I was gonna take that same bag to the range two days before but didn't make it and forgot to take out the ammo. Talk about feeling like an asshole! Luckily the guards were cool. When they first saw the ammo in the X-Ray, they asked if I was a police officer, and I told them no and explained that was the same bag I was gonna take to SPAG the other day. They said "Oh, yeah, that's where we shoot too! Just drop the ammo in your car and come back". For a minute I was worried I'd get the full-body cavity search. Had this happened in a less gun-friendly city like NYC or Boston I'm sure it would've gone down differently.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunsho View Post
    I felt like a loser. but did learn that you can check your weapon in, just make sure you got your LCTF with you.
    Just came off of 7 days of jury duty. Saw the check sign on the wall the last day.