Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Crossbreed SnapSlide review

I just realized (thanks to Paradigm) that I never posted a review of my Crossbreed SnapSlide holster. I didn't put this under Open or Concealed as it is an OWB holster so it could be either... if the mods want feel free to move it

Some background:

- I am a HUGE fan of the Crossbreed Supertuck, it is my daily carry holster for my M&P 9c and was my carry holster for my previous carry (USP 40). I am thrilled with the design, cost, adjustability... its just a fantastic IWB holster.

- I ordered the SnapSlide for my RIA 1911 Officers. All the "important" parts are standard width, size, layout... etc. Its about as standard as a 1911 can get I guess. It is my first (and only) OWB holster as I normally carry IWB (as mentioned above)

- I do not use it extensively. But I've got at least 20 - 30 hours of carry time in with it. I wear it strong side (right) at around 3:00. Belt is a standard leather belt (I believe its 1 1/4 inches).

Now then -Review:

1. VERY loose retention on my 1911. I've tried tightening it up but really didn't get anywhere. I have to call the guys at Crossbreed, maybe there is a trick to it but right now the retention is about enough to hold it in if I turn the holster upside down, if i shake it at all the gun falls clear... and thats after I tightened it up a bit... before it would have fallen out by me just turn it upside down. For an OWB holster this is completely unacceptable for me. There is no retention strap or any other retention device other then the hold of the Kydex

2. Very loose on my belt, it feels like it flops around a lot and pulls away from my belt. I think this is due to the 2 connection points being far apart, there is no support in the middle of the holster so I don't know how I can tighten it up... its almost like there should be another belt loop on the inside of the holster to hold it in real tight

3. Very hard to conceal... I would say borderline impossible without a heavy coat. This appears to be due to the gun pushing out away from my body. I'm not sure why this is but it definately doesn't hold in tight to the body at all.

I'll be calling the guys at Crossbreed this week and see if there is a way to tighten up the Kydex as it is extremly loose now, like they used a thick slide 1911 instead of a GI style 1911. I think if it held the weapon tightly I would use it more often but I still don't see how it is going to improve concealment

As far as a Buy / No Buy... I have to go No Buy, Without any reliable retention I would not feel comfortable carrying this openly and with the lack of a "tight hold" to my body its useless trying to conceal with this holster.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Crossbreed SnapSlide review

Thanks for posting this. I've been looking for a good OWB holster for a good price. I've seen a ton of great reviews for CrossBreed products, so I was really leaning toward this holster.

From reading other reviews, I would bet that they would make it right.

I'm also curious if the design would do better with a smaller-frame gun like my Cougar. I can always buy one and return it under their two-week policy.

Thanks for the info! Anyone else have the SnapSlide? Anyone else deal with CrossBreed's customer service?

(Monroe County)

Excellent from what I've experienced so far. I called before getting my first Supertuck and spoke with the owner for a good 20 minutes. He even told me to wait for new clips on the holster... how many business owners will tell you not to buy yet as they are coming out with an improved product in a month?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Mercer County)

So...does anyone else have this holster? Is anyone using it for a compact handgun?

Your thoughts?

(Mercer County)

Anybody? Anybody?

I'd like to get a holster this weekend for my Cougar...and this one is on my short list. Well, it was until Dredly's review. Now I'm a little conflicted...

Thanks!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Anybody? Anybody?

I'd like to get a holster this weekend for my Cougar...and this one is on my short list. Well, it was until Dredly's review. Now I'm a little conflicted...

Thanks!
    I recommend the Minotaur Gladiator from Comp-Tac. I love mine. www.comp-tac.com

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I recommend the Minotaur Gladiator from Comp-Tac. I love mine. www.comp-tac.com
    Nice...but they don't make one for the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Nice...but they don't make one for the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar.
    You should send them an email and ask if they'll do one. They're a great company to deal with.