Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default IS IT THE HOLSTER OR THE GUN??

For people who conceal carry i have a question...is the holster the prime reason why the gun is concealed well (I'm talking iwb holsters by the way) or is it because you may carry a compact or sub compact firearm??? another words would the holster play a major part in concealing if you were concealing a full size glock or springfield xd or 1911?? whats your take..and whats the best holster in your opinion to conceal a full size gun..
    Last edited by glockman22; February 19th, 2009 at 12:10 AM.

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: IS IT THE HOLSTER OR THE GUN??

I think there are a few important factors. I'm basing this on stuff I've read plus many hours spent with my G19, holster and a mirror.

1. The gun's size. Smaller is easier to conceal, in general, but that's not the only consideration.

2. The gun's shape. Semi autos have sharper corners. Also, the center of mass is different depending on the gun. If you have a high-capacity mag that often means more of the weight is in the top part of the gun, which will make it tend to pivot away from your body. Grip length can help, I find that if I can line it up with a relatively flat part of my hip it feels more comfortable, never mind concealment.

3. The holster / belt quality - a good rig makes a big difference. Don't buy a good holster and then put it on a $10 belt.

4. Position and cant of gun - the printing of my G19 varies considerably by position. I have a forward cant so I find it's the top of the slide, rather than the grip, that usually prints for me in a 2-3 o'clock position. Holsters vary by cant and how deep the gun sits relative to the belt. With a straight drop holster the grip might be more important.

5. You - a lot of concealment depends on your body shape, and how comfortable the gun is (IMO the worst enemy of concealment is you being uncomfortable and awkward).

(Lancaster County)

I think it is a number of factors, the gun because size does matter(you can't conceal a .44 mag with a 6 inch barrel easily). Your body type because if your rail skinny, any bulge sticks out. And an IWB holster is more effective than OWB. Finally dress, what you wear and the season matter. I can hide an SBR or shotgun under some of my winter coats in Jan. However, the lack of cover in Aug. makes it a bitch to conceal my 1911.

(Venango County)

I say it's both, a smaller gun will conceal better, but a good holster position, depth and cant will go a long ways to better concealment

My Crosbreed Supertuck conceals my Full Size Glock pretty well.

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Monroe County)

yup to both

Length of grip (or weapon height) is pretty important for me being able to conceal the weapon, the grip makes that every popular square print on the shirt

I've also found that thickness of the weapon can make a big difference as well, the further out your belt has to go to get around the gun and the thicker the gun is the further away from your body the shirt is going to be.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Chester County)

Smaller guns will always be easier to hide.

But, the right holster for your body type will make all the difference in the world.

I've carried 5" 1911's for a while, a S&W M&P fullsize, and a G19 almost all the time now.....it's just a matter of finding the right holster, and a few cover garments that take care of the rest.

I carry a S&W Sigma (the Made in USA Glock, I'm kidding you Glockman, don't get mad!). It prints a little with a "T" shirt but is still "concealed". Smaller would be easier but I like a high-cap gun. Nobody except may be a LEO or another guy that carrys would ever notice. As for a holster I recently got a Kholster and it's the most comfortable I've had.
    http://www.kholster.com/

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    I recently got a Kholster and it's the most comfortable I've had.
    http://www.kholster.com/
    I see they finally took down their legal notice. They must have resolved their issues...

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman22 View Post
    For people who conceal carry i have a question...is the holster the prime reason why the gun is concealed well (I'm talking iwb holsters by the way) or is it because you may carry a compact or sub compact firearm??? another words would the holster play a major part in concealing if you were concealing a full size glock or springfield xd or 1911?? whats your take..and whats the best holster in your opinion to conceal a full size gun..
    i have zero problem concealing as full size 1911, 1911's are one of the easiest guns to conceal out there, they are so thin compared to most of your standard guns today(all the double stack polymer crap). i carry different guns in different holsters, i prefer to carry OWB as its more comfortable but i carry my beretta px4 IWB in a desantis n87. the best holster is the one that fits YOU, and the one YOU are comfortable with, most of us have drawers full of holsters that we didnt end up liking, you are generally going to have to go through trial and error to find out what fits you best.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman22 View Post
    is the holster the prime reason why the gun is concealed well (I'm talking iwb holsters)
    The grip end is normally the biggest problem concerning concealment with an IWB holster. A bobbed grip helps with that sort of printing on a full size 1911. You will find that a longer barreled pistol conceals as well as a short barreled pistol does using an IWB holster. So I would have to say the gun itself is the prime reason a gun conceals well... followed by the belt and the holster. It's just easier to conceal a small pistol well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast