Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Utah Non-Res CCW in Jeopardy

Lord, help me become the person my dog believes I am

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Utah Non-Res CCW in Jeopardy

The words "liberal" and "Utah" are rarely used in the same sentence, unless you're talking about firearms statutes. Utah's concealed-carry permit law is one of the most liberal, and by that we mean permissive, in the nation.
    Utah isn't very liberal, and that's bad, but in this respect it is, and that's bad!

There are three good reasons why McCoy's bill should be enacted into law.
    First, Utah taxpayers shouldn't have to subsidize the cost of gun permits for anyone, particularly non-Utahns.
    I have to give them this one. If we are costing Utah money, the price should go up.

Second, there's no guarantee that out-of-state residents are properly trained. Some out-of-state instructors take shortcuts, and allow applicants to watch a video instead of taking an actual firearms safety course. And, with just three firearms investigators as of last summer, the BCI has a difficult time regulating out-of-state instructors.
    I'm not sure what to do about this, but shutting down the permit system is reactionary. There must be a way to do some better quality control.

Third, while the BCI conducts daily checks of Utah court records to determine if permits should be revoked, disqualifying crimes committed in other states by nonresidents can't be detected until a permit renewal is sought.
    Huh? I thought they ran everyone through NICS on a regular basis?

That sucks. So I wonder what will happen to all the people with the permits already. I don't have mine yet, looks like I better hurry up.
    Bazinga

(Lebanon County)

Yes, I do have to wonder what this would mean for those of us who already have them? Would they be null and void? That would really suck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by shefearsnothing View Post
    Yes, I do have to wonder what this would mean for those of us who already have them? Would they be null and void? That would really suck.
    I think that's pretty unlikely. They would have to track down the permit holders and refund their money. They would just refuse to renew them when they expire.

(Westmoreland County)

Sen. McCoy is a politician so his motives are immediately suspect.

Let me interpret the strategy behind his legislation.

Florida is making a killing on their resident and non resident permits. In fact it's a cash cow. I (Sen. McCoy) will introduce legislation that threatens the very existence of the non resident permit, pro gun forces in the state will rally and a compromise will be reached.

That compromise will involve a substantial increase in the cost of the permit as well as the renewal fee.

It will provide me with an issue that will reach beyond my own political party and endear me to all tax payers. It will also provide me the statewide name recognition I need to run for Governor in the next election cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Utah isn't very liberal, and that's bad, but in this respect it is, and that's bad!

I have to give them this one. If we are costing Utah money, the price should go up.

I'm not sure what to do about this, but shutting down the permit system is reactionary. There must be a way to do some better quality control.

Huh? I thought they ran everyone through NICS on a regular basis?
    Agreed on raising the price of the permit, if that indeed is the case it's costing the state money.
    On the training, they should accept NRA classes and such as training, not just BCI instructors, as the NRA classes may be more standard nationwide. My NRA class stuck to the basics, and didn't get into state specific laws, as this varies considerably.
    I think a number of states require a home state permit in order to get their non-res permit, I think so the home state permit is used as sort of a tracker on the permit holder, so the home state permit gets revoked, then the non-res also gets revoked. This would, though, eliminate those people in may issue states that can't get their own permits.

(Northampton County)

I think a number of states require a home state permit in order to get their non-res permit, I think so the home state permit is used as sort of a tracker on the permit holder, so the home state permit gets revoked, then the non-res also gets revoked. This would, though, eliminate those people in may issue states that can't get their own permits.
    That would screw our already oppressed brethern in NJ/NY. I've met a few fron NJ that had a Utah or Fla non res for carring outside their home state.

(Adams County)

According to the Instructor that did the Utah course at ACSHA, they go through this every couple years. It never goes anywhere.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Monroe County)

What a pleasant thread to find on the day i took my utah class. I guess i best be mailing in my application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast