Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Springfield 1911 bad?

I just changed from a Kimber 1911 (had about 3000 rds thru without a jam) to a new Springfield 1911. I bought a brand new SS loaded with target sights and a TRP in Armory Kote finish. Both shoot very well; BUT!

All my 10 and 8 round Chip McC. (shootingstar) magazines fail to hold the slide open. The magwell on the TRP was mounted off-center and did not allow the mag to drop free. I called Springfield and they just told me they do not warrent other but Springfield magazines. That may be all right for the warrant situation, but is it OK? A $1400 1911 should be able to take any standard (good quality) magazine. Anybody experienced the same situation in another 1911 where the McCormick magazines do not hold the slide open?

Default Re: Springfield 1911 bad?

If the mag well is off center, they should be willing to reblend it.

As for the mags, I don't recall ever having any issues with McCormick mags, it's possible that you need to tweak the followers a bit. older used mags, new gun, older mags saw some use on the Kimber. Maybe you should just try some new followers.

I take it the original Springfield mags work OK?
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

I have three brand new McCormick that don't work on the Springfield 1911 (on both). The Springfield magazines have a lot stiffer spring and an extra "bump" to push the slide hold open pin a little further. Here are two pics, one of the Springfield mag one of a new McCormick I bought from CDNN last year

Springfield mag.JPG

McCormick.JPG

(Montgomery County)

Weird. I have a cheaper model Springer, and I have no problems with the "Shooting Star" mags. That pic of your Shooting Star mag looks like the follower wouldn't hold open a slide on any 1911. It might be just the angle of the pic. I don't have my mags close by to check them and compare, so hopefully someone with more 1911 knowledge will be along shortly to help.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Weird. I have a cheaper model Springer, and I have no problems with the "Shooting Star" mags. That pic of your Shooting Star mag looks like the follower wouldn't hold open a slide on any 1911. It might be just the angle of the pic. I don't have my mags close by to check them and compare, so hopefully someone with more 1911 knowledge will be along shortly to help.

Here is a Kimber mag with the same follower; doesn't work either. I also tried Colt and the ones that cam with my S&W. It's weird that none of them work in my Springfield.

Thanks for all your feedback; keep it coming
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you still have the Kimber, I'd love to see pics of the bottom edges of all three slide stops.

Other than that, I'd get frisky and take the Springfield follower and spring, put them in a different body (Kimber, Colt, S&W) and see what you get.

FRANKENMAG!!!!
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Allegheny County)

I have a TRP
    I use the CMC POWER MAG+ (8-round)
    works great

I had some shooting star (8-round), and ditched them for two reasons. One, the spring didnt seem strong enough, it would fail to lock the slide every once in a while. Two, the base pads that screw on are kinda cheesy and would break off or come loose after being dropped repeatedly.