Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: right to carry

(Allegheny County)

Arrow right to carry

I have a couple of questions about RTC. First I just picked up an application today. The sheriffs office give me 3 copies of the app all the same. Do I have to fill out all 3? Second the paperwork says for the references they have to live in PA and they can't be immediate family. Can they be like 2nd cousins or 2nd aunts,uncles? And last my mother lives in Virginia when I go visit can I carry my pistol wiht me across state lines thru West Virginia and into Virgina

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: right to carry

Quote Originally Posted by Mort76 View Post
    I have a couple of questions about RTC. First I just picked up an application today. The sheriffs office give me 3 copies of the app all the same. Do I have to fill out all 3? Second the paperwork says for the references they have to live in PA and they can't be immediate family. Can they be like 2nd cousins or 2nd aunts,uncles? And last my mother lives in Virginia when I go visit can I carry my pistol wiht me across state lines thru West Virginia and into Virgina

First welcome! You've come to right place for good folk & solid information

1) "Do I have to fill out all 3 copies?" I would wager no. According to this link, you need to fill out one application and submit it.

2) I won't get into the debate on whether references are required, but a 2nd cousin would seem to be ok. I've always heard "immediate family" defined as Parents/Siblings/Spouses/children. While your 2nd cousin could qualify for a spouse... Well.

3) Yes. We have reciprocity With Virginia and West Virginia. However, if you travel plans take you in to Maryland, there are other considerations.
    http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=184

Peace is the the first choice of a wise man; superior firepower a close second. ~ Me

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: right to carry

Thanks that's all I needed to know. I've never heard of a New Yorker marrying there 2nd cousin but I guess anythings possible. NEW YORKS GUN LAWS SUCK
    Last edited by Mort76; February 17th, 2009 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mort76 View Post
    Thanks that's all I needed to know. I've never heard of a New Yorker marrying there 2nd cousin but I guess anythings possible. NEW YORKS GUN LAWS SUCK
    Well, you DID ask about West Virginia, and as far as I know 2nd cousins are fair game.

Regarding carrying across state lines ... your LTCF is welcome here in West Virginia as well as Virginia. I would strongly caution you NOT to carry on your person, concealed or otherwise, in the state of Maryland. To the best of my knowledge you must have the handgun unloaded and not within reach, essentially the gun goes in the trunk and the magazine(s)/ammo goes in the glove box.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    To the best of my knowledge you must have the handgun unloaded and not within reach, essentially the gun goes in the trunk and the magazine(s)/ammo goes in the glove box.
    Federal transport regulations require both be in a trunk (unless the vehicle doesn't have a trunk). If the latter is true, an additional requirement to actually lock both storage containers kicks in.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: right to carry

I'll have to drive thru the state to get to Virginia. Just want to make sure I won't be beaten and no deliverance type stuff going on.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Federal transport regulations require both be in a trunk (unless the vehicle doesn't have a trunk). If the latter is true, an additional requirement to actually lock both storage containers kicks in.
    Thanks for the clarification. As often as I go through MD I really should commit this to memory.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Allegheny County)

Lightbulb Re: right to carry

Thanx for the info. I'll make sure I never go thru MD
    Remember tracers work both ways