Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default CC what would you do

Okay say I was CCing. An Im walking down the street in the dark(sidewalk), An 2-3 guys were walking up fast behind me. Like, In a bad wierd manor. An, I felt threatend that something was going to happen. Would I have to see someone Armed with a weapon. Or wait for them to Assault me. Before I draw my weapon? OR if I did let them know I was armed, Kinda like LEO's do could they get me charged for 'brandishing'. Even if they were going to do something. Then saw I was armed. An changed there mind? ( Dont think Criminals would call the police on a victum they were trying to do something too..) (But, I've heard wierder things)

Because if there were 3 of them, Once your assaulted once. You probley wont get the chance to draw your firearm. An may get seriously injurie's or killed.

Just hypothedical situation here. How would you react. What would you do?

A situation like this happend to me years ago. An I got the $hit kicked out of me an robbed. (Before I was of age to carry). Im unsure what I would do if this would happen again. I wouldnt want to lose my gun rights. But, I would want to insure myself I wasnt gonna get harmed neither.

(York County)

Default Re: CC what would you do

I'd have my hand on the gun, but not drawn or visible. Be very alert for sudden moves or if they sped up their pace (which could be entirely innocent).
    Not much else you can do unless you're actually attacked.

Be proactive...don't walk down dark streets or alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by 40 cal View Post
    Okay say I was CCing. An Im walking down the street in the dark(sidewalk)...
    I hate these what ifs...I wouldn't be walking down a dark alley in the first place.

(Lackawanna County)

Cross the street, preferable not at the corner, since they may just coincidentally be going the same way that you are.

If they follow, be very concerned, and ready to draw.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    <snip> ...Be proactive...don't walk down dark streets or alleys.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF4i View Post
    <snip> ...I wouldn't be walking down a dark alley in the first place.

I believe I'm beginning to see a trend here.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Lackawanna County)

There are not any "brandishing" laws in Pennsylvania.

Also, I really hate "what if" questions; so I am treating this more as a question about the legality of drawing a firearm in public.

Apart from needing a LTCF to carry a firearm "concealed", I am not aware of any law in Pennsylvania that discusses how a firearm must be "carried". In fact, I would be very interested to see someone cite a law in Pennsylvania that governed how a citizen *must* carry a firearm (ie: in a holster).

Don't get me wrong here, I am *not* advocating twirling your handgun while walking down the street. And there very well might be a "case law" or something regarding "handling" a firearm in public - I am just unaware of any.

Now, pointing the muzzle at someone who has not done anything one could perceive as dangerous - that would be a different story.
    Last edited by Bruce; February 18th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Also I'd like to give you some advice. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back.

Since you have already been mugged, and I'm sorry to hear that, don't feel that you are now invincible because you can carry a gun. You shouldn't go places that you wouldn't go without a gun. Not saying this is how you feel, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wa3ra View Post
    Cross the street, preferable not at the corner, since they may just coincidentally be going the same way that you are.

If they follow, Dial 911, be very concerned, and ready to draw.

There fixed it.... cell phones are like guns.... never leave home without one
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    If they follow, Dial 911, be very concerned, and ready to draw.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in and say that I think this is horrible advice. If multiple men are advancing on you fast in a dark alley, you will gain nothing and lose much by dialing 911. First of all, you will have to direct your attention away from the two things you need to be concentrating on - what your potential attackers are doing, and accessing your firearm. You will also lose night vision by looking at the bright screen - remember this is a dark alley. You really want to be able to see what these guys are doing with their hands. Also, you gain nothing because whatever happens, the police will not get there in time to do anything about it. This event will either escalate to a deadly force incident or go away in less than a minute, and there's no way a cop will be there that quick. Keep the phone in your pocket.

What I would do: Rapidly change my location and direction. In this case, I would VERY quickly cross the street. If they crossed, I would re-cross. Depending on their distance, I would break into a very fast walk in the other direction. This means, if they were close behind me, I would cross the street and walk back the way I came very quickly. At this point my hand would be on my pistol. If they followed, and my "this is bad" antennae were up, I would draw and shout commands to stop.

I should add that I dislike the "what if scenarios" as well, but I see you are just 21 and therefore new to carrying. These are just the sort of questions you should be asking "what if this happens, what if that happens". I remember when I first got my LTCF (at 21) and I was thinking about these types of things all the time. Situational awareness is your best friend and will prevent most shootings from happening before they get started. Remember that now that you have deadly force at hand, you need to de-escalate whenever possible, and look for opportunities to not shoot. Not that you wouldn't, but I thought it should be said. I would highly recommend you read "In the Gravest Extreme" by Mossad Ayoob as a first book on these topics.

Good luck.

Scott
    Last edited by granuale; February 18th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by tdyoung58 View Post
    Of course and certainly, carry a cell phone if you have one. A carry-over from my Boy Scout days, I've always loved the motto: "Be Prepared"

However, personally I'd wait to dial 911 *after* I have secured any possible situation; especially if I thought they should send the bus along with the cruiser.

I don't buy-in to any philosophy that suggests the police exist to hold my hand when I'm scared, baby-sit me or fight my fights for me - mostly because I wouldn't want to start depending on them to do any of that when none of those things are in a cop's job description.

Also, I don't much care for the advice that suggests we law-abiding citizens should avoid going to, or being in, any public place at a time we citizens are lawfully allowed to be there.

Am I saying people should purposefully put them self in harms way? Of course not. I would never suggest that people should run around playing "Batman" or something like that. If you are afraid to go somewhere - then don't go there. But, I'd reject any advice that *I* (or anyone else) shouldn't go/be anywhere I (they) choose (so long as it isn't against the law to be there, of course). People should feel free to walk down a public street (or alley) any time they want. Having the ability to defend one's self insures that freedom.
    Cogito, ergo armatus sum.
    ...Say that to my face.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast