Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Slide not locking back on last round.

Yea I know I have a few aftermarket mags for my compact 45 and when shooting with not lock the slide back after empty. When I just have the gun unloaded and pull the slide back it stays put. ANyone know why..

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Slide not locking back on last round.

Quote Originally Posted by mpett1 View Post
    Yea I know I have a few aftermarket mags for my compact 45 and when shooting with not lock the slide back after empty. When I just have the gun unloaded and pull the slide back it stays put. ANyone know why..
    sounds to me like the aftermarket mags are not propertly engaging the slide stop.

there should be some portion of the mag follower that pushes up on the slide stop when the mag is empty (and, so, the mag follower is pushed all the way to the top of the mag).

lock the slide back and then insert an empty mag. look for where the mag is (or should be) hitting the slide stop lever and you might find the issue.

(Tioga County)

Some of the after market mags have a too weak a spring and don't have enough force to push up the slide stop.

USNRET '61-'81

(Allegheny County)

Just a thought but, check the position of your thumb when firing to make sure you're not pushing the slide stop down. Other than that, I'd check the mag springs as well.
    "He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad."
    Rafael Sabatini's "Scaramouche"

(Berks County)

Another possibility is underpowered ammo or too stiff a recoil spring. My Sig 226 came with a strong spring so it would handle +P ammo without a problem. But with cheaper range ammo it would not lock back like yours. I solved it by getting the next weaker spring.

You can tell if this is the problem by doing this:

Lock your slide open for at least a day in the safe before going to the range.(this will give it a temp set and make it just a bit weaker) use the same ammo as before and see if it now locks back. If it does you need more powerful ammo or a weaker spring.(either or but not both)

Just remember if you are planning to use +P in it put the stronger spring back in.

Just because I'm curious, and because it might come in handy...Just what model of gun are we talking about? Information helps.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Another possibility is underpowered ammo or too stiff a recoil spring. My Sig 226 came with a strong spring so it would handle +P ammo without a problem. But with cheaper range ammo it would not lock back like yours. I solved it by getting the next weaker spring.

I had this issue with my PX4. 1 type of ammo only had issue's. I switch ammo its gone. I just stopped shooting that ammo.
    Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.JFK

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by sluggie24 View Post
    Another possibility is underpowered ammo or too stiff a recoil spring. My Sig 226 came with a strong spring so it would handle +P ammo without a problem. But with cheaper range ammo it would not lock back like yours.
    Add to that list insufficient lube and a loose grip.

The slide is either outrunning the magazine spring, or not fully retracting.

Too strong of a spring/ light loads/ not enough lube/ not a stable enough grip all causes the slide to potentially not fully cycle.

Weak magazine springs don't push the floorplate up fast enough to engage the slide lock before the slide begins to try and travel forwards again.

(Montgomery County)

The gun is a Firestar M45. I know its the mags because it only happends with the new aftermaket mags. I really think its a week spring issue in the mags. Is there anyway to strenthen these?