Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default Wyoming Reciprocity to Cease

On another forum I saw a letter issued to WY sheriffs that stated the firearms CCW would be reduced to eight states, so I emailed the director in Wyoming and it is true.

Wyoming's AG-site lists 22 states that they have reciprocal agreements with, including PA, but that will soon change to eight, and PA is NOT one of the ones included.

Dear Mr. S,

The information reflected below is true and correct.

Forrest C. Bright
    Director
    Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigations
    316 W. 22nd Street
    Cheyenne, WY 82002-0150
    Office: 307-777-7181
    Fax: 307-777-7252

Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:48 AM
    To: dciwebmaster
    Subject: Firearms Reciprocity

Dear Mr. Forrest C. Bright,

I recently was made aware of a potential change in reciprocity for concealed carry of firearms. A letter is going around several firearms forums about a letter you supposedly wrote.

The letter reads:
    "TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
    All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah."

Is this letter from you? And is the information contained within disqualifying reciprocity with some fourteen states true? I am looking forward to visiting Wyoming next summer and would like to know the status of Pennsylvania's reciprocity with Wyoming.

I look forward to your clarification on this issue.

Kind regards,
    Chuck S
    That sucks, but at least I'm glad my Utah permit still is honored.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

Default Re: Wyoming Reciprocity to Cease

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    On another forum I saw a letter issued to WY sheriffs that stated the firearms CCW would be reduced to eight states, so I emailed the director in Wyoming and it is true.

Wyoming's AG-site lists 22 states that they have reciprocal agreements with, including PA, but that will soon change to eight, and PA is NOT one of the ones included.

That sucks, but at least I'm glad my Utah permit still is honored.
    Ditto, Georgia!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

...Wyoming's AG-site lists 22 states that they have reciprocal agreements with, including PA, but that will soon change to eight, and PA is NOT one of the ones included...
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Not Wyoming!!!!

Oh the humanity!!!

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Well that stinks, FL is off the list now. What are the vehicle transport laws in WY? At least you can still OC w/out a lisc, right?
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Adams County)

Wyoming is one of the most gun-friendly states in the union. Why would they not reciprocate anymore? This doesn't make sense.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Wyoming is one of the most gun-friendly states in the union. Why would they not reciprocate anymore? This doesn't make sense.

camper
    I wonder if this has anything to do with now allowing CCW in NP's?
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post

camper
    Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous statutes do not.

I read the article and yes, Wyoming is very gun friendly, huge hunting industy and tourism. I think it has to do with what it says, those states that are more in line with their own laws, like GA. If you've been convicted of possession of weed, you can't get a permit here in Ga. That is what Wyoming stated in article. I don't know if PA will issue for just possession of weed or not but if so, well, that means PA is less stringent than WY and therefore why would a state lower their standards to those from out of state?

Exact reason why I fully believe in a national LTCF or CCW Permit. And yes, a Federal one would include range time, classes, and a background check. Therefore, meeting all states minimum requirements. However, each state would retain the right to issue state permits.

How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Exact reason why I fully believe in a national LTCF or CCW Permit. And yes, a Federal one would include range time, classes, and a background check. Therefore, meeting all states minimum requirements. However, each state would retain the right to issue state permits.
    i support exactly none of your statement, i dont believe in state permits let alone a national one giving the fed more power, nor do i support classes, range time, or a background check to be able to carry firearms. do you need to take classes to exercise your religion? or speech? do you need a background check before you go to mass? NO. why is it acceptable to do that to another right?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast