Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ramsey calls suspect “cold-blooded killer”

WE NEED REPEAT VIOLENT CRIMINAL CONTROL, not another gun control law that ONLY really affects the people that obey the laws. It’s very sad that yet another police officer has to pay the cost with his life to illustrate this point........

NO ONE wants these repeat violent criminals on the streets least of all gun owners.....

WE NEED TO USE THE LOCK AND KEY APPROACH rather than let’s make a deal with the revolving door of justice approach that is apparently not working.

Just passing another gun control law won’t solve anything until they ACTAULLY impose the MAX penalty and let the criminals know that IF they break the law expect to do hard time...

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/br.../39613042.html

Ramsey calls suspect “cold-blooded killer”

The suspect in Friday night's murder of a Philadelphia patrolman is an "unsalvageable" career criminal who "should not have been among us, period," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said today.
    "This guy was just a cold-blooded killer who made a statement prior that if police showed up, he was going to kill them," Ramsey said. "That was his mind-set, and that was his intent."

Simmering with anger over the death of 25-year-old Officer John Pawlowski - the eighth officer to die from on-duty injuries in less than three years - Ramsey was accompanied at a midafternoon news conference by Homicide Division Capt. James Clark.

Clark identified the suspect as Rasheed Scrugs, 33, of West Philadelphia, whose decade-long rap sheet includes several aliases and multiple arrests for theft, robbery and gun crimes. Scrugs was wounded by police after Pawlowski was shot, and was in critical condition last night.

When Ramsey was asked at the news conference about the injuries to Scrugs, pain and sadness clearly overwhelmed his usual discretion and decorum.

"He wasn't hit enough. That's the only thing that matters," he said. "I don't care."

Police said the circumstances that ended the life of Pawlowski, of the 35th District in the Olney-Logan area, began about 8 p.m. when Scrugs roughed up a hack cab driver he was trying to rob near the SEPTA station at Broad Street and Olney Avenue

Scrugs - described in public records as 6-foot-3 and 200 pounds - did not display a gun, police said, and the cabbie threatened to use his cell phone to call 911.

"If you call the cops, I'll shoot you and the cops," police quoted Scrugs as saying.

The scared cabbie dialed anyway.

The first officers to arrive were Pawlowski and his partner, Officer Mark Klein, followed by Officer Stephen Mancuso as backup.

The policemen knew only that they were responding to a report of a "disturbance on the highway," the standard call for an altercation on a street.

When they encountered Scrugs, his hands were thrust deep into the pockets of his black, three-quarter-length coat, Clark said. When officers demanded that Scrugs raise his hands, he refused, Clark said.

When they demanded a second time, he said, Scrugs fired an unseen gun, presumably hidden in his pocket. Police recovered .357 Magnum shell casings and a gun at the scene.

"Officer Pawlowski was able to get off one shot, and then he went down from his injuries," Clark said.

Klein and Mancuso exchanged shots with Scrugs, hitting him several times. The officers were not wounded.

Witnesses gave differing accounts of whether Scrugs had been advancing toward the officers or retreating to flee. One investigator said it appeared Scrugs had tried to shoot his way through police.

Scrugs fired at least six shots before he collapsed. One of the slugs apparently sliced the fabric of Mancuso's jacket but missed him.

Pawlowski was pronounced dead at 8:44 p.m. at nearby Albert Einstein Medical Center. He had been wounded in his upper chest above his bulletproof vest. Another bullet had hit the vest.

Scrugs was admitted to the hospital in critical condition and underwent surgery. His condition was so grave, police said, that his heart stopped twice during the night, but he was revived. Found in his pockets, police said, were 19 .357-caliber bullets and 19 packets of crack cocaine.

He faces murder, attempted-murder and narcotics charges among a long list of offenses.

Pawlowski, a five-year veteran of the force, is from a police family. His father, John Sr., is a retired lieutenant with the Special Victims Unit. His brother, Robert, is a corporal in the radio room who was on duty Friday night.

His wife, Kim, is expecting the couple's first child.

Supervisors remembered Pawlowski as an energetic officer who thrived on action.

"He was originally assigned to the Sixth Police District, but that was too slow for him. So he asked to be reassigned to the 35th," the busy, high-crime district based at Broad and Champlost Avenue, Ramsey said.

The commissioner described Pawlowski's work ethic as "very good," and "very aggressive."

On Wednesday, Pawlowski received a merit commendation for a June arrest when he wrestled a gun from a man on a crowded SEPTA bus.

Pawlowski had gotten on the bus at 66th and Broad Streets after an exiting passenger alerted him that a gunman was on board. When the gunman pushed him to get away, the officer grabbed the man's shirt and pulled the pistol from his waistband, according to court testimony.

The pair scuffled. When they spilled out the back passenger door, the gun tumbled to the street, where the bus driver retrieved it at Pawlowski's direction.

"I felt I was fighting for my life," Pawlowski testified months later.

While police shootings are always traumatic for fellow officers, Pawlowski's death was particularly emotional because many officers were attending a fund-raiser for the family of Officer Timothy Simpson, who was killed Nov. 18 when an alleged drunk driver rammed into his cruiser.

Also at the fund-raiser was the father of Sgt. Patrick McDonald, who was gunned down Sept. 23 in North Philadelphia. Police said scores of officers had poured out of the event and raced to Einstein.

Police offered few details about Scrugs, who listed a recent address in the 4900 block of Marvine Street. A reporter who visited the block last night found no one who said they knew him.

Born in 1975, Scrugs was first arrested as an adult for shoplifting at 18. Those charges were withdrawn. Over the next three years, he was arrested several times on counts of robbery, receiving stolen property, assault and gun crimes. Many of those charges were dismissed or withdrawn by prosecutors in apparent plea bargains. The most serious charges were held for trial.

In June 1997, he pleaded guilty to robbery and carrying a fire arm without a license. Common Pleas Court Judge Gary Glazer sentenced him to a minimum of five years and a maximum 10 years in prison.

He served five years and was paroled. In 2002, he violated parole and was sent back to prison in 2004 for six months months. He was released again in 2005.

It does not appear he was on probation when he was arrested in September on charges of car theft and receiving stolen property.

His next court date on those charges is Wednesday.
    This slain officer and his family that left behind is going to pay the high price of this catch and release by the criminal justice system.

I think it’s it way past time we revisit how criminals are sentenced, and try to find ways to break this cycle repeat violent criminals. Possibly making a two tier prison system one for non violent people to try to discourage any future bad behavior and much harsher one for repeat violent criminals to spend MAX time for society sake.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Ramsey calls suspect “cold-blooded killer”

Has anyone found anything in the stimulus plan that spends some of this money on larger and newer prisons and maybe some gas chambers or new public hanging gallows. That I would have no problem with spending tax dollars on.

Quote Originally Posted by kht428 View Post
    Has anyone found anything in the stimulus plan that spends some of this money on larger and newer prisons and maybe some gas chambers or new public hanging gallows. That I would have no problem with spending tax dollars on.
    that would never happen, it makes too much sense for one, two what would these politicians do without gun crime?
    FJB

(Bucks County)

Wonder what's gonna happen in cali when they release thousands of prisoners because of their financial situation......

If we stopped locking up non-violent drug users, we would have a lot more money and space to make sure people like this are not let out early.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

(Montgomery County)

Crimes that involve murder in which there is no question about the suspect's guilt should make those criminals automatically eligible for the death penalty. Due process should be rather fast, no time should be wasted sitting on death row, no chance of appeals, etc. This is a clear and cut case of who did it and punishment should be harsh.

The 'Burg-Northern Berks County, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

If the day ever comes where some miscreant caused me or those dear to me some harm............I will hold that person, and those responsible for him being on the street (lawyers, judges, etc.) directly responsible.

I hold grudges forever............................and all will be dealt with equally.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I figured out the problem, pretty easy when facts present themselves. Judges and lawyers make money off criminals, so they keep the revolving door twirling round and round. It is not the police's fault at all and they of all people would be the most fustrated and angry with the corruption of the bench and lawyers. The corruption and hypocracy are really bad in Baltimore, as I suspect is the same level in Philly and DC. In Baltimore, murderers with evidence against them are aquitted, thanks to the "stop snitching" culture and juries being made up often of uneducated blacks who feel sorry for the "po boy". And the political BS is just terrible. The same powers that be will rail against " gun violence" and want more friggin gun control laws, then the judges will drop felony handgun charges or just give the bad guy probation. Then the dumb voters of the city just keep re-electing the same useless judges, the same lameass prosecutors, and the same popped- from -the-dumb- mold mayors.

What it boils down to is stupid people running everything.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Adams County)

I guess my only thought on this scumbag living through his surgery was that his heart stopped twice. Why did they bother restarting it?