Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW question

(Philadelphia County)

Default CCW question

I have been thinking of getting a pa ccw permit. I dont yet own a gun but I will buy one. My friend told me that is is easy to get the pa ccw permit and suggested this site. I sometimes go to camden. My friend told me that my pa ccw permit would not be valid in jersey unless I get a 1 mile waiver. He said this allows me to go no more than 1 mile into new jersy and my pa ccw would still be vaild. He also said this was waiver was issued by the federal government but he did not have the contact information. I have been searching google high and low and have been unable to find information on the waiver.

Can anyone help?

(York County)

Default Re: CCW question

I'm curious about this "1 mile wavier". I don't think there is any such thing.

NJ is notorious for their strict gun laws. Your PA License To Carry Firearms (LTCF), not CCW, is not good in Jersey...even a fraction of an inch over the state line. No such thing as a federal wavier for this purpose. DON'T DO IT!

(Philadelphia County)

So is there a CCW permit that is valid in jersey? How can I get a jersey CCW permit. I have seen sites showing that jersey issues permits but I did not find anything on the new jersey website about CCW.

Quote Originally Posted by jackinblack View Post
    So is there a CCW permit that is valid in jersey? How can I get a jersey CCW permit. I have seen sites showing that jersey issues permits but I did not find anything on the new jersey website about CCW.
    NJ may not even have a carry permit, not sure on that. But they don't honor any other state's gun carry permit or license. So, unless you are a law enforcement officer or a retired officer, there is no way for you as a PA resident to legally carry a gun in NJ.

Your friend is mis-informed about the wavier thing and if he gets caught carrying in NJ under that assumption...he'll be in a world of POOP!

Law enforcement officers are covered under a federal thing called Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; February 18th, 2009 at 08:18 AM.

(Mercer County)

Apply for your LTCF before you buy your handgun.

Some counties take longer than others. If you buy your gun first (like I did) and your county takes a long time, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    Apply for your LTCF before you buy your handgun.

Some counties take longer than others. If you buy your gun first (like I did) and your county takes a long time, you'll end up with an expensive paperweight.
    Remember, though, open carry of your handgun is legal in PA without a LTCF, as long as you are on foot and not in a vehicle. The act of taking the gun into a vehicle in essence is concealing it...even though it may be in plain view.

You do need a LTCF to carry openly in Philly even if on foot.

And you do need a LTCF to carry openly during a declared emergency.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; February 18th, 2009 at 10:41 AM.

(Berks County)

First off, PA doesn't have a CCW or CWP, it has an LTCF (License to Carry Firearms). It's a bit confusing. One can open carry anywhere in PA except Philly WITHOUT a permit, but because of the Philly exception the permit isn't a Concealed Weapons Permit, it's a License to Carry, as the license is required for any form of carry there. These are the general rules, but there are exceptions outside of Philly (as HiredGoon mentions above) that may require an LTCF.

Second, to my knowledge there is no such thing as a "1 mile waiver". You can't find anything with Google because it doesn't exist. If you are in NJ, your PA LTCF will amount to NOTHING. Do not carry any weapon into NJ, open or concealed. You will be arrested and charged. If there is such a thing as a waiver, federal or otherwise, I'd bet it's reserved to federal agents and not available to the citizenry at large.

Third, NJ does have a LTC of some kind, but unless you're a retired police officer, have a lot of money, or know a judge, you're not getting one. NJ is a "may issue" state, unlike PA which is "shall issue". In a "shall issue" state like PA, as long as an individual meets a certain set of standard criteria, a license application cannot be denied; it's as close to non-discriminatory as it gets. In a "may issue" state like NJ, even if you meet the standardized criteria set forth in the law, a judge gets final approval and can deny for any reason whatsoever. And all of this is for NJ residents looking to obtain a permit. As far as I know, NJ does not issue any non-resident carry permits at all, and they do not recognize PA's LTCF.

So, I'd say as far as carrying a weapon into NJ, you're in the same boat as the rest of us: not gonna happen. Concentrate on getting your PA LTCF (the Philly PD will tell you what they require as far as applying is concerned), and do your duty to adhere to the law and stay away from NJ while carrying.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

As others have said the "1 mile waiver" is pure fiction - like unicorns - it does not exist.

It is "easy" to get a license in Pennsylvania because Pa. is a "shall issue" state. This means that anyone meeting the criteria (not a felon or crazy, etc.) must be issued a license according to the law. Just like a drivers license - if you meet the qualifications you get the license. Be advised that Philadelphia (your listed location) routinely violates state law and requires additional burdens than the state allows for applicants. This means it will take you longer and you will have to jump through more hoops because you live in Philly. If you are interested in a license, get started with the paperwork ASAP because it can take a while (months).

New Jersey is a different animal because it is a "may issue" state. This means that the decision to issue is wholly discretionary and no matter what dangers you may face or how upstanding a person, you have no right to the license. There are permits issued in New Jersey, but they are extraordinarily rare and usually only given to those who either have strong political connections, or prove that they own jewelry stores for instance and have a sympathetic chief of police. Not impossible, but ridiculously small chance it will happen.

If you decide to carry in N.J. without a permit you should still apply. If you ever have to defend yourself in court, you can honestly say that you did everything you possibly could to try and carry legally, and only resorted to carrying without a permit when that was the only option.

Good luck.

(Philadelphia County)

I found this http://www.ehow.com/how_2064612_get-...ed-weapon.html

How to Get a Permit to Carry a Concealed Weapon in New Jersey
    By eHow Legal Editor

Rate: (15 Ratings)
    New Jersey is a restrictive "may issue" state. A carry and conceal weapon (CCW) permit may be issued to someone who can justify their requirement for one, but it will not serve as a National Instant Criminal System (NICS) check. The following steps will show how to obtain a CCW license in New Jersey.

Email Send to Phone Print ArticleAdd to Favorites Flag Article
    InstructionsDifficulty: Challenging

Step1Be over 21 years old and fill out an application form.

Step2Be a retired New Jersey police officer or federal officer to be entitled to an unrestricted CCW permit. You may also be an armored car worker. These are not statutory requirements, but a CCW permit is almost never issued to anyone else in New Jersey. The basis for issuing a permit is almost completely discretionary and you must demonstrate an urgent need for self-protection.

Step3Determine who your issuing authority is. If you are a resident of New Jersey living in a town with a chief of police and are not seeking armored car employment, your issuing authority is your local chief of police. Otherwise, your issuing authority is the state police superintendent (you can go to any state police barracks.)

Step4Provide the issuing authority with the completed application form, your fingerprints, the permit fee and proof of firearms training. Most departments charge more than what the statute specifies.

Step5Present a complete description of each handgun you intend to carry. The permit is good for two years.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast