Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Another reminder not to speak with police

On Sunday afternoon, just up the road in Freemansburg, a man shot himself in both legs.

Freemansburg police Chief George Bruneio said Daniel Keen, 59, of the 100 block of Clearfield Street, claims he was loading a Taurus 9mm handgun about 4:45 p.m. when he shot himself in both legs. He was taken to St. Luke's Hospital. A hospital supervisor Monday afternoon said Keen was in fair condition.

Bruneio said Keen told police he purchased the gun earlier in the day. Following the shooting, Keen summoned police to the home, where they found him bleeding profusely from the legs, according to radio reports.

Bruneio said the shot passed through one leg and into another. Keen underwent surgery for the injuries, Bruneio said.

Bruneio said his department is checking to see what the other people in the home were doing at the time of the shooting. He said officers also are checking to see if the gun is registered to Keen.

Even if Keen's account of what happened is supported by a police investigation, Bruneio said there is still a chance Keen could face charges.

"He endangered the other people in the house," Bruneio said.
    link

How do you like that, you shoot yourself in BOTH legs but that's not enough of a lesson. We all need to remember to SHUT UP - the police are not our friends - they are agents of the state and are looking to charge whenever possible.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Another reminder not to speak with police

The fact that he may be charged doesn't hinge on whether or not he said anything.

The police are there to investigate a shooting. Was it intentional, accidental, twirling the gun on his finger???

Unless their investigation proves that he was doing something in a careless or negligent manner I don't see any charges being pressed.

(Lackawanna County)

"officers also are checking to see if the gun is registered to Keen."

What registry?
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Montgomery County)

Steve beat me to it... seriously, if you shoot yourself thru the legs, and seek medical attention, you WILL end up speaking to the police, if not for anything else but to determine if this was an accident, or an assault.

the only way NOT to say anything will be to quietly die from blood loss from the results of your own negligence.

yeah, he could face charges, but unless this guy was practicing some sort of trick shooting in his room, its probably unlikely.

Some LEOs just like to make a "impressive" soundbite statement, when they should STFU ... you know, like when Jersey State Troopers make that ridiculous claim on the news about how "Hollow point ammo is made to defeat bullet proof vests" (yeah, STFU, here's yer sign jackass)
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lehigh County)

exactly... just followed up on this story after the Easton post.

what registry, and wtf with charging a guy who shot himself accidentally?
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    link

How do you like that, you shoot yourself in BOTH legs but that's not enough of a lesson. We all need to remember to SHUT UP - the police are not our friends - they are agents of the state and are looking to charge whenever possible.
    What happened to you granuale, that you are so upset. I'm surprised you didnt' blame the cops overzealous "war on drugs" for this incident as you have in other threads.

::rant on::You going to recommend we not speak to Paramedics too? They will want to know if you are on any medications when they treat you, and medications are drugs. Since the medics are friendly with police, the medics are defacto agents of the state too.....I'm sure you'd expect them to dime you out to the cops if they thought you had something illegal, even if you didn't, so fuck it, Don't talk to the medics either! Lets lay there bleeding but silent, hoping they don't give you anything that reacts with your meds.:::rant off:::

It's funny how we rant and rave over news articles involving guns and how they are invariably vague or misinformed, but if they somehow fit our agenda then it's ok to make our own wild claims.
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    Steve beat me to it... seriously, if you shoot yourself thru the legs, and seek medical attention, you WILL end up speaking to the police, if not for anything else but to determine if this was an accident, or an assault.

the only way NOT to say anything will be to quietly die from blood loss from the results of your own negligence.

yeah, he could face charges, but unless this guy was practicing some sort of trick shooting in his room, its probably unlikely.
    Uhhh... the "you WILL" seems like a threat. I don't see how this is necessary. Call 911 "send an ambulance to 1515 mockingbird for a gunshot wound" - click. Police come : "WHAT HAPPENED!" You : "............" As for charges being "probably unlikely", I would hope so too. My point is that how, in this case does it help to speak with police? They are only going to use any info to charge, so why speak a word to them? How does it ever help you in this case? I'm sure we've all seen the "Don't talk to the police" video. I posted this story to remind everyone that it's great advice and we need to remember and act on it.

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    What happened to you granuale, that you are so upset. I'm surprised you didnt' blame the cops overzealous "war on drugs" for this incident as you have in other threads.

It's funny how we rant and rave over news articles involving guns and how they are invariably vague or misinformed, but if they somehow fit our agenda then it's ok to make our own wild claims.
    I'm upset that the police may charge this man and try and take away his liberty for a stupid action he did that hurt no-one but himself. I think about how awful it would be for this guy - shoots himself accidentally in both legs, has to deal with no doubt astronomical medical bills and all the physical pain and rehab and such, not to mention the embarrassment of it all. So what next? Now comes the police who think he should have no liberty, and then he has to mortgage the house or beg friends and family for money for his legal defense, just to stay out of prison. And yes, that does make me mad. I think a better question is why doesn't it make you mad?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by granuale View Post
    I'm upset that the police may charge this man and try and take away his liberty for a stupid action he did that hurt no-one but himself. I think about how awful it would be for this guy - shoots himself accidentally in both legs, has to deal with no doubt astronomical medical bills and all the physical pain and rehab and such, not to mention the embarrassment of it all. So what next? Now comes the police who think he should have no liberty, and then he has to mortgage the house or beg friends and family for money for his legal defense, just to stay out of prison. And yes, that does make me mad. I think a better question is why doesn't it make you mad?
    Again, folks are looking at this in only one way. What evidence do you have that police are only looking to charge him, other than the quotes in the news article? They may be answers to questions by the reporter that weren't fully explained. Of course this guy could be charged if they find evidence of reckless gun handling etc, but if not, thats the end of the investigation.

I can't get over how no one seems to believe or even consider the police, as a group, are interested in finding out the truth behind an incident, whether it be a crime or any other time they need to speak to someone.

When someone applies some stereotype to lawful gun owners, we stomp our feet and cry the blues how it's not that way. The person making the claim is wrong or being malicious, or anti-gun. In all these police related stories it seems perfectly acceptable by some to stereotype cops as only looking to arrest someone. Any opinion to the contrary is viewed as condoneing all police misconduct, even if that was never implied or suspected.

Someone care to explain it?
    http://tinyurl.com/y6jhwkw CLICK TO DONATE I'm riding again in 2010!

I don't understand why anyone would have a problem if this guy were charged IF he did something really stupid. IF he was negligent and dangerous he's the same guy we loath at the range, the one sweeping the lanes, shooting at birds, etc. I other words, the one we want to leave and never come back. As for police...yeah, if you get shot their gonna ask questions. If someone gets shot, I want the police asking questions! If he chooses to answer, that's his call. Shooting yourself is a pretty serious incident. If it is truly an accident he needs some training, IF it was something more he needs to be away from firearms. Some people just should not have guns. Such as the irresponsible and the criminal.

Quote Originally Posted by LM4300 View Post
    Again, folks are looking at this in only one way. What evidence do you have that police are only looking to charge him, other than the quotes in the news article? They may be answers to questions by the reporter that weren't fully explained. Of course this guy could be charged if they find evidence of reckless gun handling etc, but if not, thats the end of the investigation.
    My friend who is a cop is rightfully and constantly bitching about going on calls where people want him to solve all sorts of problems with their kids, neighbors, ex-spouses, etc. He is fond of saying (to me) I either arrest (ticket, etc.) someone or not. That's his toolbox. When I say they are looking to charge, I am saying that is their toolbox.

The only evidence of reckless gun handling likely to be given in this case are the statements of the guy who shot himself. It benefits him not one iota to speak to the police about what happened because the information "can and will be used against him".

[QUOTE=LM4300;617818]I can't get over how no one seems to believe or even consider the police, as a group, are interested in finding out the truth behind an incident, whether it be a crime or any other time they need to speak to someone.[QUOTE/]

Unless you agree that that the laws enforced by the police are just, and are fairly prosecuted and penalties for violating them are appropriate, it doesn't matter if they are interested in the truth. (See Harold Fish, Ryan Frederick, etc.) In this case, the truth may be that this guy was reckless as hell. I think even if that were the case, he has paid his penalty and that if you want to shoot yourself in the legs, that's your business as they are your legs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast