Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Smile Taurus PT92 Owners - Do you like the gun?

I have been looking at different 9mm autos and I have always liked the look and feel of the PT92. I have never shot one and most of the research I have done has been for the most part positive. I like the fact that you can cock and lock like the 1911's. Any and all feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

Default Re: Taurus PT92 Owners - Do you like the gun?

I have a PT99AF (old version 1988 vintage, no hammer drop with adjustable sights). I've had it from new with only one problem. The rear sight leaf broke and was replaced by taurus with a 10-14 day turnaround. I carried it as a duty gun for 4-5 years so it was banged around a bit (probably the reason for the rear sight breaking) and there was no problems. The only reason I stopped carrying it is the firearms policy changed (SA/DA autos had to have a hammer drop). I find mine extremely accurate for a 9mm with just about any 147 gr load. I've got about 20,000 rounds through it now. I'm very satisfied.

A lot of problems I've heard of with Taurus autos is with their newer models of striker fired guns. I also have 3 Taurus revolvers and a PT1911 with no problems.

(Northampton County)

My personaly experience with the PT92? Not so good. The particular one I fired (but did not own) would not hit on target no matter what the distance. At 7yds I was having trouble keeping the shots inside the target let alone any kind of grouping. (I was firing WWB 115gr FMJs)

No it wasnt my shooting that was bad. I was hitting a torso sized steel target at 300yds with a HiPoint .380acp that same day and was putting 10rds into the size of a DVD case at 75yds bump firing my SKS.

The other thing I didn't like was the DA trigger pull. It was very long and in SA mode it had about an inch of takeup before the gun would fire. The first time I shot it I thought something was wrong. First shot went off no problem and when I pulled the trigger again I felt like I hit the frame with the trigger.

I may have been firing a lousy model though. If you find one that is accurate and you like the trigger go for it.

(I still can't believe the guy who owned the one I shot carried it for self defense)

(Berks County)

Have a friend who owned his about 9 months, mess load of different ammo types through it, and daily carries it. He loves the gun. I think its a little too bulky of a gun for 9mm, especially for carry, but that factor does make it extremely accurate. The factory sights are very coarse and for combat shooting, but if they were finer I'm sure it would do well at 50yrds.

About $300-350 worth of gun, IMHO.

I have the PT92 SS and love it. I've put at least 3,000 rounds through it with out any trouble. It handles everything from 115 gr HP to 147 gr HP, but it likes 125gr LRN. I like that it's easy to strip down and clean and that it had 17 round mag's. Get one or two if you can find them. Warpt762X39 did not like the trigger on the one he shot. I don't have that kind of trouble with the one I have.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warpt762x39 View Post
    No it wasnt my shooting that was bad. I was hitting a torso sized steel target at 300yds with a HiPoint .380acp that same day and was putting 10rds into the size of a DVD case at 75yds bump firing my SKS.
    Holy hell dude 300 yards witha 380 You must have been shooting at the sky !!

A number of years ago, I owned both PT99s and PT92s. The only difference between the two is the sights. The 99's are adjustable, the 92s are fixed. They gave tens of thousands of rounds of flawless service. As in no malfunctions. Ever. They were, depending on the gun, capable of 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards, plenty accurate. I carried my PT99 for years as a personal gun, in widely varied climates, and it never let me down.

The PT92s are on my short list for a full sized gun, now. I think they are a better buy than the Berettas, more reasonably priced and with a better safety system. I am bummed, though, that they are only available with light rails now, which means none of them will fit into my old holsters.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; February 18th, 2009 at 09:00 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40twist View Post
    Holy hell dude 300 yards witha 380 You must have been shooting at the sky !!
    I didn't have to aim quite so high with that as I did with the .22 mag single action revolver I shot the time before. That go everyones attention and I had 8 people spotting me. I am sad to say that I only hit 5 out of 6 times, the first shot ended up being about 2 inches too low.

(Butler County)

I have the PT 92 AF and love it. Very accurate. I swapped out the factory grips for Hogue and that improved the overall feel and handling for me.

You can also find extended magazines in the 28 to 30 round capacity if that interests you.

After a day at the range my brother looked at my PT 92 target and said "tell me again why you don't carry THAT one?"

Highly recommend.

(York County)

Smile Re: Taurus PT92 Owners - Do you like the gun?

Thank you all for the feedback.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast