Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Any Ruger KP-95 Opinions

I was at a shop today and seen a KP-95 new in my price range. Anyone have opinions or experience with these guns?
    I have shot the kp-89 and was not overly thrilled with it. Felt kinda "funny" when it cycled. I was wondering how the 95 compared to the 89.

Thanks
    Mel

(Butler County)

Default Re: Any Ruger KP-95 Opinions

I am basically a Smith and Wesson guy, revolvers and autos both, but I must admit the most reliable semiauto weapon I own is a P95DC. Thousands and thousands of rounds thru it and absolutely zero bobbles. I use maybe nine different magazines, including one no-name. Just the way it feels when it cycles, my impression is that it is extremely unlikely it will ever fail. Ugly it is, but reliable as a brick. Can't compare it directly to an 89, but I like the way it feels. It feels sloppier than a Smith, but that doesn't bother me.

(Chester County)

I HAD a kp95 a few years ago. I hate reselling guns, but I didn't like it.

I shot my first kp 95 about 3 weeks ago and I loved it. It felt very comfortable in my hand and the recoil was not bad compared to a couple other 9's I've shot. As a matter of fact I am getting one in the next week or two. My other choice of guns was a Glock Model 17. I do not like the so called safety and I prefer the smooth grip over the ribbed. If I were a officer I probably would get the Glock but for what I will be using it for I want the Ruger. I think it looks better also, the Glock is kinda plain to me. My friend bought one and it jammed 4 times in the first 10 shots. We added a touch of oil and worked on him flinching on the shot and we never had another problem. Acedemy Sports had the best price around here at $359.00. Bought a box of 250 round 115 grain shells for $44.95.

(Centre County)

I happened to looked one at the shop today(along with SR9, P90, and P345)
    I do not care for SR9. But when I held P series, feeling is instantly familier.

Bulky, chunky, heavy, big, and Ugry.
    P95 is just that. ugry, bulky, and did I mention ugry?

BUT

I have few friend who have P seriese pistol, and I know for the fact they are just about most reliable gun there is.
    they shoot, they extract, they load, and they shoot. No matter what, they will repeat that cycle.

When you buy gun to show off to your buddies, or wants to be envy'ed by others, Rugers aren;t the gun for you.

But if your buying the gun so that you can trust your life under most severe condition imaginable, but don't trust polymer framed weapon, and wants save $$$, then Ruger is it for you
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Smile Re: Any Ruger KP-95 Opinions

Someone please tell me what I'm missing when they say the Ruger KP 95 is a chunky, heavy, big, and ugly. I'm kinda new to this but I have shot Ruger, Glock and a HiPoint. The older Glocks I like with the smooth grip and they are a touch lighter than a Ruger, but as I said before I still do not like the internal safety. Between the Ruger and Glock the Ruger shot just as smooth as the Glock for me. As for looks, the GLock is black............that's it. The Ruger I'm getting has the SS barrel and just has a better look to me, but to each his own. Now you want to talk about a big, ugly, and heavy gun that shoots like a tank..........look at the Hi Point model C. I shot this gun 3 times and knew that I hated it. I then went back to the Ruger and shot another 50 rounds in it. Again the GLock is a fine gun if you want to put another $200.00 dollars in it. If GLock would change the safety, put a button on both sides for the clip release so that you can shoot right or left handed, then maybe I'd get it instead. But for now, its Ruger for me.

(Westmoreland County)

I have a P89 and it is a fine gun! It was the first handgun I ever bought and I still carry it almost everyday! Nothing wrong with a Ruger!

(Chester County)

I've got a P94 (.40 S&W) that looks to be almost identical to a p95. I like it well enough. It has some noticable trigger creep in SA mode, but if I'm doing things right, I barely notice it when shooting.

It's more accurate than I am.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flyn Tiger View Post
    Someone please tell me what I'm missing when they say the Ruger KP 95 is a chunky, heavy, big, and ugly.
    You said you've shot Glock and Hi-Point.
    Glock has always had bit chinkier grip then newer polymer framed guns, such as M&P, XD, and SR9. And Hi-Point will never gonna win beauty contest.

Now that you mentioned it, Glock and p seriese ruger have similer grip feel - generaly harder to have proper grip. I can reach the DA trigger if I brake the proper grip to shoot.
    And Hi-Point - Only one I have any experience with is C-9 - have very similer high axis bore, meaning barrel sits higher then others like my M&P, barrel sits low to my hand.
    Both C-9 and P95 have sort of big, heavy chunky slide..

Do know that C-9's slide is much chunkier then that of P seriese Ruger tho.
    Notice how big the hight of slide on both weapons.
    Compare it to something like M&P...

(sorry for the pink gripped Breast cancer awareness Julie Glosky model. thats all the pic I have at this moment...)
    you can see that slide on M7p is much more compact then P series and C-9
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Any Ruger KP-95 Opinions

Everyone has their opinion. I am a Commissioned Security Officer and a Personal Protection Officer (bodyguard). I use a KP95 9mm for my commissioned service weapon. It is a good weapon as long as you keep it clean and lubed properly. I bought it because it was less expensive and it will endure weather and some abuse. I do trust it to fire when I would need it too. 15 times plus one in the chamber. Rugar has been around for awhile and are pretty reliable for the price. I personally have a 1911 and I use a small .45 cal concealed weapon for Personal Concealed Handgun carry and for use when protecting my clients as a bodyguard.

Sounds like its in your price. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast