Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Camp Questions

(Montgomery County)

Default Camp Questions

This past year was my first year hunting and while I didn't have much "luck" I really enjoyed it and I am looking forward to next season.

My question is: How do Camps work? Do you go in with a bunch of people and each pay a certain amount? How do you get involved with a group like that? I do not have any friends that hunt so getting together with a group of people I know really isnt in the question.

Any recommended websites etc to look for available properties etc?

BTW: Would like a place to fish as well.

Thanks

Anthony

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Camp Questions

Pick a region of the state first..

Real-estate websites and agents is what you'll need to check out. Also classified ads in newspapers, fliers and online. You can also take a drive and look for For Sale signs. Another option is to knock on a couple old farmer's doors and see if they'd be interested in parceling out a lot for you to build camp on(remember building codes/permits). Good farms and places to hit up are ones that are overgrown, appear abandoned, fields haven't been mowed in 2-3 years or more. They will sometimes parcel out a piece. Sometimes you'll end up spending a day in the courthouse looking up deeds and sometimes wills to find a landowner for some abandoned lands/buildings.

Just like any property, you can buy as a group/corporation or individual. If you do so as a group I'd do some sort of corporation or a contract to back each other's claim up. As a group you can elect all sorts of ways for members to cover things from gas/propane, electric, property taxes, maintenance and repairs. I personally won't buy into such a membership or co-own a property unless I share ancestral blood with them, but thats just how I do things...

Some camps also rent out or time-share like a condo on Myrtle Beach, SC. The problem with them is - usually you get the crappy time slots.

A lot of camps you'll find is just that - a camp, a building, and about an acre or two of land. You'll need good access to huntable public and/or private lands. Double check adjacent lands for hunting and fishing access prior to buying/lease/renting if you're gonna use it for sporting purposes.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Monroe County)

Make sure you keep in mind some other factors as well, like number of local camps vs amount of huntable land and distance to the camp from your home.

One of the first things you should decide is the amount of money you are planning on spending and the amount of time you are going to be at camp. If its only going to be a week during hunting season your needs will be vastly different from if its going to be a weekend getaway.

as you just started hunting I'd suggest hunting local for a few years first before you go all in on a camp.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Delaware County)

Remember the hunting digest as for camps having five or more hunters you post the names and back tag#'s on the front of the camp door, Review all the info in the digest to cover yourself on hunting camps.

You may also want to consider a hunting lease. You can get a sizeable piece of land to hunt with a limited amount of hunters.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Pike County)

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for all the suggestions! Greatly appreciated