Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: EDC Light

Default EDC Light

Ok, im looking for a new light. I have an L4 which is good for indoors but i need something for longer ranges. So im looking for a light with alot of throw for the best price.Any suggestions?

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: EDC Light

as far as best price? wal-mart sells these little rayovac led lights that are BRIGHT. they are all machined alluminum, tailcap switch, 3 watts and about $25 I've been trying to tell everyone about these "wallmart tactical" lights you just can't beat em.

(Warren County)

I haven't tried it's outdoor capability yet, but tonight I picked up a Rayovac 3watt LED flashlight from the walmartians tonight for only $20.
    http://www.rayovac.com/flashlight/selux2aa3w-b.shtml

It's F'n BRIGHT. Claims 80lumens, if that's a lot, I have no idea.

So far, I really like it, and it blinds my kids as they run past... lol
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Westmoreland County)

Surefire Millenium M3. It's a nine volt system and with the high output lamp will get you 225 lumens.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Surefire Millenium M3. It's a nine volt system and with the high output lamp will get you 225 lumens.
    I like that light besides:

1.The price (ouch!)
    2.Runtime.

(Delaware County)

I've been considering one of the mini LED mag lights. The two AA version is 1 watt I think. is the rayovac one brighter? How does the runtime compare? the prices are comparable, and I trust mag light for reliability and durability.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by SaMx View Post
    I've been considering one of the mini LED mag lights. The two AA version is 1 watt I think. is the rayovac one brighter? How does the runtime compare? the prices are comparable, and I trust mag light for reliability and durability.
    Structurally they're the same quality, imho.
    I've only had the Rayovac light a few days now, and pretty much played with it constantly. Flashing unsuspecting people is awesome. hehe. So I really can't comment on battery life. But I'd imagine a 3w light won't last quite as long as a 1W light.

As for brightness, it's a MEGA difference in the 1W Maglight vs. the 3W Rayovac. The Rayovac is a ton brighter and the light pattern seems better.

I like the design of the Rayovac light better. The maglight's plain old casing has never appealed to me. I like how it's got a pocket clip and a lanyard so I can hang it on my person in multiple fashions. The case is a nice metal case and feels every bit as solid as the Maglites I've had in the past.

I did have an issue with the o-ring around the battery cap when I got mine. I tried to remove the lanyard ring and when slipping it over the O-ring, I sliced the o-ring. Clearly MY FAULT, and not a defect with the product. I emailed Rayovac and explained what I had done, and asked if there was a way to get a new o-ring sent to me (I know, I could have went to the hardware store for one, but this was my test of customer support) and here's their reply:
    Thank you for your purchase of our product. We will get this issue resolved for you. Expect a replacement part sent within a few weeks.
    Thank you,
    Rita Collins
    Supervisor Consumer Service
    So all around I've had good experience with this light. From the cost ($20) to the brightness, to the customer service.

I have some AA size Rayovac IC3 15 minute quick charge batteries I keep around for my GPS, so I'll just pick up a couple more pairs for use with the light.
    Last edited by sinful; January 29th, 2008 at 05:25 PM.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Delaware County)

cool, next time I'm at walmart I'll try to pick one up

(Monroe County)

dudes, i picked up a two pack of 3-watt lights at BJ's for $30, run on 3 AAA batteries, super bright and good size and weight (fits well in one hand). Came complete with energizer batteries and a wrist strap. I think the brand was K2. Oh it claims to have an 8 hour runtime.

(Allegheny County)

I bought one of the 3w led mini-mag lights with the metal case and twist switch/beam adjustment for like 15$ at wal-mart, so far for all my "tactical" needs it seems to work fine. People who plunk down $200 for a flashlight and then use them to work on the car make me lol. Most of us won't need a "tacticool" flashlight ever for armed purposes, and for the 1 time that I might, mine will work just fine, I can turn it on-off with 1 hand and that is really what I needed.