Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default DE/PA transfer question

I reside in DE and have DE/PA CCW.

Can I buy a handgun in PA legally and transport it back to DE ?

What is the official procedure? Is my PA ccw card good enough?

Can I transport it back to DE and walk into the FFL and transfer it to myself or does the seller need to be present?

I can't find anything that spells it out clearly.
    Thanks in advance.

JR

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: DE/PA transfer question

All handgun purchases must be completed at a dealer within the resident's home state.

You can buy/pay for it in PA, but the PA FFL will have to ship it to a FFL in DE to complete the transfer. If you are buying from a private individual - the individual must deliver the handgun to a FFL in DE. At no time may you take possession of it prior to transfer from a dealer in your home state. ....the only excepts to what I just said is for bequested firearms and intestate succession - both of which requires a death, proper and lawful inheritance, and to abide by state/local laws as well.

LTCF and other carry permits have no bearing on gun purchases. They are for carrying, not permits to purchase.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 16th, 2009 at 09:44 AM. Reason: TYPO
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

I would have the seller drive it to the FFL in Delaware and transfer it to you there.

BTW are there any gun stores in the Wilmington area?
    The above is not legal advice and is for discussion purposes only. Do not rely on anything posted. If you have a legal question, retain a lawyer.

(Centre County)

Here is what the BATFE says about this:

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

Just remember, when the BATFE talks about licenses, they are talking about the Federal Firearms License (FFL), not about the PA LTCF or a DE CCW license. Also, firearms are anything other than standard rifles and shotguns.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member