Wow, a discussion on the kind of guns that fascinate me the most! I have several reproductions, but still want an original (in shooting condition).

Getting back to original thread question: my own two cents worth.

All the current repro muskets are well made. Which one (and model you buy) is more of a matter of taste.

I prefer the '61 Springfield mostly because it has a lovely feel coming up to my shoulder when I shoot it. They also are very impressive all polished up when you are marching with them.

The '53 Enfield on the other hand is a lean, mean military machine. The color case lock and deep blue barrel speaks of purpose. They have less drop of comb, so (on me at least) don't come up to my shoulder as nicely, but this is balanced with better sights.

On the issue of removing non period markings (defarbing). As a collector (and reenactor of nearly 30 years) I'm against it personally. The guns are marked the way by modern makers as they are to avoid confusing them with originals. Now an experienced eye can tell the difference anyway, but give those guns a few years and we'll see unscrupulous dealers selling them as originals (I've seen "aged" examples being passed already). I know that the James River guns are absolutely beautiful, but still the collector in me says that this is a problem in the making.

My two cents worth...you are free to ignore my whining.

Thanks for the advice on the NSSA. I'll check out the forum myself.