Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Sig 239 not hitting point of aim (PoA)

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on an issue I'm experiencing with my Sig 239 9mm. I purchased the gun (new) recently and have put over 300 rounds down range. However, when I take aim at a target at 7 yards (indoor range), the bullet lands about 3-4 inches below the PoA. I was so baffled by how off my shot was that I had to pull out my S&W M&P 9c to make sure it wasn't just me. I shot fine with my M&P and went back to the Sig and continued to have the same issue. I handed the gun to my gf (who is very accurate) and she had the exact same issue.

Anyone have any ideas what is wrong?

Thanks in advance.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Sig 239 not hitting point of aim (PoA)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone is able to shed some light on an issue I'm experiencing with my Sig 239 9mm. I purchased the gun (new) recently and have put over 300 rounds down range. However, when I take aim at a target at 7 yards (indoor range), the bullet lands about 3-4 inches below the PoA. I was so baffled by how off my shot was that I had to pull out my S&W M&P 9c to make sure it wasn't just me. I shot fine with my M&P and went back to the Sig and continued to have the same issue. I handed the gun to my gf (who is very accurate) and she had the exact same issue.

Thanks in advance.
    i had a sig 239 in 40 cal and it was very accurate, you might try getting another front site to raise point of aim but then you'd be spending money you shouldn't have to on a new pistol. also check to see if the end of the barrel has any chips in it. what type of ammo were you using? ammo can make a difference!!!! so try a few different brands, could be your sig doesn't like the brand you were shooting. last but not least i would recommend you call sig and tell them your problem and if need be send it back for them to fix.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    i had a sig 239 in 40 cal and it was very accurate, you might try getting another front site to raise point of aim but then you'd be spending money you shouldn't have to on a new pistol. also check to see if the end of the barrel has any chips in it. what type of ammo were you using? ammo can make a difference!!!! so try a few different brands, could be your sig doesn't like the brand you were shooting. last but not least i would recommend you call sig and tell them your problem and if need be send it back for them to fix.
    Thanks for the response!

I was using bulk WWB ammo. I use the same ammo for my M&P with no issues. I guess I can try and switch up the ammo to see if that has an effect. It does not look like the barrel has any visible chips in it.

I'll put a box of another brand of ammo through the gun and if that doesn't solve the problem, then I'll give Sig a call.

thanks for your help.

Fixed sight guns do not always hit to exact point of aim. In fact, they are rarely dead on. One thing you can try is some different ammo, in different bullet weights. If you find one that hits close, that's what you want to stick with. I'm betting you may find some 124 gr or 147 gr rounds may hit closer for you.

If you can't find a load that hits close to POA for you, or if you want to stick with what you are using, then you can change sights or have a smith adjust yours for you.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(York County)

Just by chance, each sight has a number, could you kindly advise
    what the # is on the front and the # on the rear. What "Sight Picture"
    are you using? Standard "Dot the I", or "three dot night sights". I have
    always used for for shooting the tip of the front sight is is aligned with the
    two tips of the rear sight, with equal light on either side. Ignoring the dot,
    or the alignment of the three dot system. There is a very distinct difference
    between a "Combat Sight System" than a "Target Adjustabe Sight System".
    According to my Sigarms Sight Adjustment Tool Information here is the
    following: ELEVATION: For both the front and rear sights, 30 different height
    combinations are available.The sights are numbered in according to their
    height. A change in elevation is accomplished by changing the front or
    rear sight. It is reccomended that the rear sight be changed first.
    Simple rule, "NUMBERS UP, IMPACT UP; NUMBERS DOWN, IMPACT DOWN".
    I would suggest as was mentioned in the other post, practicing more before
    the expense of replacing sights. It may be a little shooter error such as
    trigger squeeze, anticipation, etc.
    FUNDAMENTALS

"All that is needed for Evil to Prevail is for Good Men to
    do Nothing"

(Cumberland County)

I seem to have pretty much the same problem as the OP with my ruger p95. But, it shoots to the left a good bit. I've tried american eagle, Blazers, Remington, An 147gr. gd hps an always shoots to left/ high left. Anyone know what I can do to fix this or have this problem? Maybe I should adjust the sights? I dont think its me. But, I dont got another pistol to make sure.

NVM I dunno why but it was my fault lol.
    Last edited by 40 cal; February 16th, 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: It was just me... I went shooting today an hit fine.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
    I too have the same gun and problem. The # of the front and rear sights is 8. I have owned a Kimber and XD and did not encounter this problem. I would like to put in an adjustable night sight but have not come across any that will fit the 239. I feel the Sig trigger makes squeezing a bit harder as compared to by Kimber and maybe this causes me to slightly pull down on the gun. On the other hand, this gun has been flawless with thousands of rounds.

(Montgomery County)

The model that I picked up came with the Sig night sights (3 dot). Both the front and rear sights are marked with an "8". I've tried to grip the gun in various styles and it still does not impact on the PoA. My gf who is very very accurate experienced the same issue. I'm going to try the ammo thing and report back to you guys in about a week. I'll let you know if switching up ammo helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FUNDAMENTALS View Post
    Just by chance, each sight has a number, could you kindly advise
    what the # is on the front and the # on the rear. What "Sight Picture"
    are you using? Standard "Dot the I", or "three dot night sights". I have
    always used for for shooting the tip of the front sight is is aligned with the
    two tips of the rear sight, with equal light on either side. Ignoring the dot,
    or the alignment of the three dot system. There is a very distinct difference
    between a "Combat Sight System" than a "Target Adjustabe Sight System".
    According to my Sigarms Sight Adjustment Tool Information here is the
    following: ELEVATION: For both the front and rear sights, 30 different height
    combinations are available.The sights are numbered in according to their
    height. A change in elevation is accomplished by changing the front or
    rear sight. It is reccomended that the rear sight be changed first.
    Simple rule, "NUMBERS UP, IMPACT UP; NUMBERS DOWN, IMPACT DOWN".
    I would suggest as was mentioned in the other post, practicing more before
    the expense of replacing sights. It may be a little shooter error such as
    trigger squeeze, anticipation, etc.

(Bucks County)

Read the post very quick, but did you have another user try the pistol to confirm similar pattern?

ETA . . . read your first post properly. Sorry. Should have known you'd do the easy check first.
    Last edited by Cole; February 16th, 2009 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Actually READ OP this time

(Chester County)

My guess is it's the driver, not the car.

4" at 7 yards is a HUGE amount to be off. I've never seen a gun come from the factory that was this far off...it's always been shooter induced, each time I've seen this kind of deviation.

Got any pics of the groups you were shooting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast