Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SHTF Shotgun

(Westmoreland County)

Default SHTF Shotgun

Thinking about a SHTF shotgun. In particular, thinking about a Remington Express shotgun w/ a 6 round tube, folding stock, and 18" barrel w/ the RemChoke. Get the ful RemChoke (imp.cyl., mod., full) and a weaver rail. Should be able to use this for bird/rabbit & deer hunting as well as home defense.

Would I be better off w/ a non-folding stock for hunting applications? The receiver is drilled and tapped for the weaver base - does this mean that i can install a picatany rail on the reciever? Would I better off getting a separate barrel that is fully rifled & has a cantelever sight base? Is the 18" barrel too short for bird/rabbit hunting?

Sorry for all the questions. I know that I may be better off w/ several shotguns, but only want to buy one right now.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SHTF Shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Is the 18" barrel too short for bird/rabbit hunting?
    Bird yes, rabbit no. The rabbits I have shot were at a lot closer range.

Can you use a 22 for rabits in PA? I used a 12 ga shotgun for rabbit once but I hated the destroyed meat so I switched to a 22 rifle. I guess the perfect rabbit gun would be a 22/410 over and under.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Thinking about a SHTF shotgun. In particular, thinking about a Remington Express shotgun w/ a 6 round tube, folding stock, and 18" barrel w/ the RemChoke. Get the ful RemChoke (imp.cyl., mod., full) and a weaver rail. Should be able to use this for bird/rabbit & deer hunting as well as home defense.

Would I be better off w/ a non-folding stock for hunting applications? The receiver is drilled and tapped for the weaver base - does this mean that i can install a picatany rail on the reciever? Would I better off getting a separate barrel that is fully rifled & has a cantelever sight base? Is the 18" barrel too short for bird/rabbit hunting?

Sorry for all the questions. I know that I may be better off w/ several shotguns, but only want to buy one right now.
    I like a full stock for hunting applications. Cheekweld is everything to a good wingshooter.

Yes, you can install a rail on that receiver. Brownells or Midway likely carry one.

You don't need a rifled barrel unless you want to shoot sabot slugs. Otherwise, you can shoot slugs and shot out the 18" barrel when using the correct choke. 18" barrels will kill birds and bunnies as easily as a 30" barrel. The longer barrels make wingshooting a bit easier, but short barrels are really nice when hunting grouse in the brush. I shoot clays with a 22" all the time.

Lycanansweredthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Philadelphia County)

Saiga 12 with a big drum mag. Will be good in any situation you can throw at it.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    Saiga 12 with a big drum mag. Will be good in any situation you can throw at it.
    As much as I love my Saiga-12 I can't imagine it being practical from a hunting standpoint compared to my Mossy 500.

Since I did the conversion my cheekweld is poor, the gun is an older model with no bolt hold open so its a pain in the butt for skeet and trap. With the gun in the stock configuration cheekweld is better but the gun is very front heavy and won't balance as well. Not to mention trying to find a 2 round mag to hunt with in this state.

Mags are expensive and hard to come by (although they are getting much better in the past two years). Every try to look for parts (ie like a spare bolt?) If it came down to the SHTF time I would want a gun made here in America that is common as dirt because I can find parts for it. Even AKs break.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."