Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default AR15 FTF and FTE problems

Hi folks, I've been having a few issues regarding failure to feed and failure to eject on my Stag Model 2. To start off, I keep the weapon very clean and well oiled. It generally shoots great. However, the past few times I've taken it out to the range I've been having problems. It boils down to this: the weapon will fire and fail to chamber the next round; the weapon will fire, fail to chamber next round and fail to eject spent brass; when the last round in the chamber has left the barrel, the bolt will fail to secure itself in the stock which results in having to use the charging handle every time a new mag is inserted into the rifle.

A good friend of mine recently returned from the Marine Corps after serving four years, seven months spent in Iraq as a SAW gunner and 14 months spent in Iraq as an infantry squad leader. Him and I were at the range yesterday and he looked at my rifle up and down. He took it apart, checked and rechecked every piece and he is baffled. Here is his theory- problematic mags. He thinks it might be a faulty or worn mag spring which isn't giving the correct amount of pressure, thus a new round isn't being chambered when it should be. However, he still can't figure out why spent brass isn't ejecting. The mags I'm using I bought from a reliable online store and they are mil-spec. So basically, what the heck is going on?!

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by tec; February 13th, 2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Speeling, and gramar
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: AR15 FTF and FTE problems

Can't believe I'm the first to respond . Anyways, this subject has been beaten to death on this and other sites. A little work on your part is required. Google "AR15 FTE" to start. But, as others always mention first, "is the gas key tight and staked?" Sounds like your AR is "short stroking" (Google this too).

Link: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=289712
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    Hi folks, I've been having a few issues regarding failure to feed and failure to eject on my Stag Model 2. To start off, I keep the weapon very clean and well oiled. It generally shoots great. However, the past few times I've taken it out to the range I've been having problems. It boils down to this: the weapon will fire and fail to chamber the next round; the weapon will fire, fail to chamber next round and fail to eject spent brass; when the last round in the chamber has left the barrel, the bolt will fail to secure itself in the stock which results in having to use the charging handle every time a new mag is inserted into the rifle.

A good friend of mine recently returned from the Marine Corps after serving four years, seven months spent in Iraq as a SAW gunner and 14 months spent in Iraq as an infantry squad leader. Him and I were at the range yesterday and he looked at my rifle up and down. He took it apart, checked and rechecked every piece and he is baffled. Here is his theory- problematic mags. He thinks it might be a faulty or worn mag spring which isn't giving the correct amount of pressure, thus a new round isn't being chambered when it should be. However, he still can't figure out why spent brass isn't ejecting. The mags I'm using I bought from a reliable online store and they are mil-spec. So basically, what the heck is going on?!

Any ideas anyone? Thanks in advance!
    I was typing a response and got a call at work - then forgot to hit "save"

CLASSIC signs of an issue with the gas system.

I would check the front sight base to make sure it isnt canted at all (is it clamped in? or is it using taper pins? or straight pins?)

I would then check for anything odd with the gas key, and gas rings.

Finally while you're at it - you might as well upgrade your extractor spring/insert and oring. www.bravocompanyusa.com has a reliability package you can get as does www.gandrtactical.com

Rifle or carbine?

(Allegheny County)

What kind of ammo you using?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

Short stroking sounds like it could be an issue, to check this insert a mag with 1 round. If the bolt does not lock back after firing then, failing problems with the bolt hold back, you are definitely having a problem with short stroking. Check to make sure the gas key is not loose and there is no gas leaking out between the key and carrier (carbon buildup etc) also check to see if there is any uneven wear on the end of the gas tube. Uneven wear from misalignment can take a while to show up and cause pressure to leak. A gas tube blockage, while highly unlikely is technically possible.
    As far as the not ejecting, check the ejector, make sure it is moving freely and has some resistance. Brass can get in around the ejector and jam it up. You can take a fired round and use that to hold the ejector in while you push out the ejector retaining pin to check and clean it.
    If all this checks out then I'd recommend taking it to a knowlegable armorer AKA not bubba down at the gunshop.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting