Default New Purchase: Springfield 1911 LW Operator

My new baby, a Springfield 1911 Lightweight Operator:

DSC09653.jpg DSC09656.jpg DSC09657.jpg

It's a typical SA 1911 loaded pistol, with the addition of the following:

- Aircraft Aluminum-Alloy frame
    - Integrated 1913 rail
    - Stainless match grade barrel
    - Trijicon front and rear sights

I haven't shot it yet, but it's making a hell of a first impression. The second I picked it up, I was struck with how it well it fit my hand. It may sound weird, but it was more comfortable than any of the other pistols I own. The finish is very good, the slide-to-frame fit is amazing (absolutely no slop at all), and well, it just looks damn sexy. It's much lighter than a typical 1911, and I'm curious as to how/if that's going to affect recoil. Also, I plan on making a few modifications to this one in the future (a magwell, different grips, maybe a new trigger, some type of front strap checkering or grip tape).

Can't wait to run it a bit and see how she does. I have a few more pics I'll add in the next post.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; February 13th, 2009 at 05:29 PM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Berks County)

Default Re: New Purchase: Springfield 1911 LW Operator

More pics. To me, one of the things that stood out on this pistol as opposed to other 1911s is the shape of the front of the slide under the front serrations, and how it lines up with the beveled angle of the railed dust cover. Looks more aggressive to me.

DSC09658.jpg DSC09659.jpg DSC09660.jpg DSC09661.jpg DSC09662.jpg
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

*DROOOOOOOOOL*

Grats on that sexy beast!

(Lancaster County)

Very Nice!!!
    Looking forward to hearing a range report.
    I'm not a 1911 guy but the Lightweight Operator and Champion Operator make me want to be!

(Dauphin County)

Nice... I like it...

very nice pistol there, I'm sure she will perform as good as she looks.
    Is that the same pistol Snake uses in mgs4?
    I also own a 1911 (kimber) and love it.
    Last edited by 45 ACP; February 13th, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: add coment

(Delaware County)

nice gun. high quality

(Lycoming County)

hrmmmmmmm... yummy. Added to "the list" haha. enjoy it.
    "Unus ut caput capitis"

(Allegheny County)

NICE
    Springfield makes a fine 1911

awaiting range report

(Berks County)

A few users PM'd me with questions about this pistol, and my experiences with it in comparison to other 1911s, so I figured I'd post a little more detailed description/review of the pistol here for everyone's benefit. I also took it out to the range this past weekend, so I'll post a few brief comments on that as well. Note that I'm far from a 1911 expert, and this is the first 1911 I've ever owned, so I'll try to provide as much feedback as I can.

I chose the LW Operator because it was one Springfield's cheaper models with an integrated rail, and it's also a pistol that I may carry in the future, so weight was a secondary consideration in choosing. While I looked at other manufacturers, I've heard nothing but good reviews about Springfield and their customer service, and IMHO their "bang for the buck" seems a bit better than Kimber and other manufacturers.

IMHO, fit and finish on the LW Operator is damn good for a pistol that didn't come out of their custom shop. The first thing that impressed me was the slide-to-frame fit; there's absolutely no play or slop in it at all, but at the same time rides nice on the rails without binding up. The barrel-busing fit was also spot on, tight enough so there's no play but loose enough so that it's not rubbing excessively on the outside of the barrel and marking it or the bushing up. There's no machining or tooling marks, nicks, scratches, finish problems, etc. Armor Kote on the slide, slide release, mag release, beavertail, etc. all look great. The anodization on the frame looked a little different than the slide when it came out of the box, but one I cleaned and lubed it, the match was perfect. I will admit, however, that I do like the Armor Kote better, and at some point I may consider calling Springfield and getting a quote on Armor Koting the frame to match. The pistol isn't touted as being de-horned, but there's really no sharp edges that could cause a snag except for the rail itself.

I've never handled Springfield's higher quality models like the TRP Operator, but I believe the LW Operator would compare favorably when taking the cost difference into consideration. The TRP will likely soak up recoil a bit better due to its steel frame. As far as features, I believe the TRP has Armor Kote throughout, as well as a bull barrel and front strap checkering which the LW Operator doesn't. It's also around $400-$600 more in price depending on where you look, an the above features would more than likely account for that price difference.

I took the pistol to the range this past weekend, and put a few hundred rounds through it, a combination of some fairly basic FMJ and JHP from Remington/UMC and Winchester. I experienced no failures of any kind. The sight picture from the 3-dot Trijicons was exactly what you'd expect, and I was able to acquire a target in about the same time as all my other pistols equipped with similar sights. As far as accuracy, it definitely shoots better than me . I don't have any pictures, but I was able to keep groups within 1-2" at about 7 yds and 3" at about 15 yds. I'm certain that if I had a stand/vice in which to perform testing that would take me out of the equation, it would perform better.

Hope this helps everyone, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post or PM me.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast