Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default WHOOSH! I had some wind related excitement this morning... thanks Mother Nature

So it's about 8:30 Am...I'm enjoying my day off, reading PAFOA forum, thinking about what to have for breakfast and all the while trying to ignore the whipping wind sound going on outside... All of a sudden there was a crashing sound & my house shook like there was an earthquake! I looked out back at the trees in the yard... all still standing... Hmmm what else could it have been? So I look out front... nothing but I do notice my missing recycling bin that was not there when I looked out back has escaped the alley, traveled down the side street and is sitting about 50 yards into the middle of the ball field across the street, so I go out to get it. As I am walking back I finally see what caused that noise & house shaking:

A trip to the roof found:

As it turns out, my 100 year old tin roof is fine other than along the seam where the next door neighbor's rubber roof blew off. I originaly thought the neighbor's just shifted & the next two blew off but when I looked again, I realized that all three of the newer roofs peeled right off.
    Here's an example of the seam separation:

I went back up later on after the one neighbor had a roofer put a temporary cover over their part and remove the stuff that was hanging over the front of the house. Now you can see the chimney casuality a little better.

My insurance said that the seam will be fixed when the neighbor does his repairs, and to let them know if there is any damage as a result of it not being fixed before the next rain etc.
    My other option is... I could put in my own claim just for the seam, but it'd be a claim on my insurance record, so my premium could go up (I had one other claim within the past 5 years) and I'd have to pay a $250 deductible, and if it's not done at the same time as the neighbor's repair I don't know if that roofer will screw up or undo anything I have done to the seam.
    Has anyone else ever been in a similar situation?
    In addition to my insurance company, I've already spoken to the person who owns the property next door and they are already contacting their insurance & roofing people.
    Last edited by 87th PVI; February 12th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Some non gun related excitement this morning... thanks Mother Nature

wow that could have been a LOT worse. The wind up here is gusting pretty hard, pulled my archery target down, looks like it ripped the wood right off the screws... (damn)
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(York County)

Default Re: WHOOSH! I had some wind related excitement this morning... thanks Mother Nature

holy cow!! can't believe you braved a trip to the roof...we continued to have power outages every 15 minutes from about 5am til i left for work around 1030 this morning and someone's trash bag broke open right in front of my mailbox (that was so gross, but I had to clean it up!!). in like a lion, out like a lamb...

Default Re: WHOOSH! I had some wind related excitement this morning... thanks Mother Nature

We hold our breath every damn time the wind gets nutty up here, and today it was NUTTY (50 mph they said)

3 years ago a similar windstorm in January dropped a 75' Maple tree across our roof at 5am .....