Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default Chevy Venture-trans problems

I have a 2000 Chevy Venture van, 6 cyl, front wheel drive automatic. It just dosen't go. It started about a week ago, some squeeling from the engine. Recently the wife was low on power steering fluid and she filled it up-I'm thinking she had burned out the pump, but that's not the case. The vehicle has 80,000 miles on it now, so I thought maybe it's the serpentine belt, I just changed it today, but it's also not the problem. While I was at it changed the air and fuel filters and pvc valve.

Here's the problem, start engine-hear squeeling from engine, as it warms up the squeeling goes away-at least it used to. Now, put car in drive, hit gas, just sits there, while squeeling sound gets higher with rpm level. Go through the gears, and it dosen't feel like it's shifting. Although when put into reverse will slightly go backwards and Drive will slightly go forwards> so the gear shift is probably not the problem.

So is there anyone here that knows what the problem is? Are there any car forums I can check to see if others experienced this problem-links would be appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Chevy Venture-trans problems

Check the trans fluid level while running. Check the color, smell, and feel of the fluid from the dip stick. If the color is black (not red) and smells burnt it's probably time for a replacement trans. If the fluid also has any "grit" in it, the friction plates are probably done, time for a replacement trans. Unfortunately, the cost of a rebuild for FWD trans are in the $1,500-2K range.

Toujours prêt

(York County)

It sounds to me like your trans is gonna need to be rebuilt. This is a common problem for those transmissions. There is a drum that cracks and then that lets the bands/clutches slip. However the car will still have some movement in reverse and 2nd gear.

(Beaver County)

Here's some additional info. The fluid feels fine, smells fine, but does look dark in color. The trans was rebuilt by a jag-off dealership, who sucks big time!, two years ago, and they did some other trans work on it last year, sideplate, whatever that is.

I had it towed to a transmission shop yesterday afternoon.

yea, hawk, it probably will be around $1500-$2k. The rebuilt trans didn't even last 30k miles.