Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Out of state travel

In Jaybell's sticky, he says "Further, with the exceptions of Silencers and AOWs, all other NFA devices are limited to IN STATE TRAVEL without permission from the ATF."

So, whenever I get the paperwork back for my supressor, do I just need to verify that the state I may want to go to is NFA friendly?

Do federal transport laws still apply to NFA? I know NJ is anti-anything-firearm-related, and no NFA, but if I drive from legal point A to legal point B through PRNJ, am I in good shape?

Skullz
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Out of state travel

a Form 5320.20 MUST be submitted for approval for permission to move NFA weapons in interstate transport.

the EXCEPTIONS are for AOWs and Silencers/Suppressors.

However, you would be smart to verify that the NFA item you are transporting interstate is legal on both ends of the trip.

the FOPA of 1986 includes the "peaceable journey" language...if yer stuff is legal on the start and end of your trip, its federally legal to transport, and allegedly functions as a shield against prosecution.

this hasn't stopped places like New Jersey and Massachusetts from trying to prosecute gunowners for transporting banned items thru thier states, but it is a defense.

best advice is do NOT linger in jurisdictions where your item could raise some legal eyebrows...we all know how painfully ignorant your average streetcop is of NFA legality, OR federal law.

Keep on moving, no unecessary stops!
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply