Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default It hurts to lose face...

So today I had one of those appointments with destiny, or perhaps it is just a sign of aging. I had to visit a plastic surgeon to have a small spot of what the doctor thinks is skin cancer removed from my face. I got multiple stabs in the cheek with a needle full of novocain, and then the cutting and stitching began. It was actually pretty painless, and over quickly, but the doc warned me it would "be a little sore" tonight. So I am pretty sure it is going to hurt.

I am prepared. I have medicinal liquids on hand.

But as I was walking out of his office, with everyone passing by looking at my fresh bandage on my cheek, I thought to myself, I have the material for a really bad joke. I'll be sure to use it whenever possible too, at least for the next few days. You folks here are just the lucky first ones to have it inflicted upon you.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: It hurts to lose face...

Hmmm, that's odd. He removed something he thought MIGHT be cancer? Usually they remove a tiny bit and have it tested before they start removing substantial amounts. Glad to hear you are ok, btw. I'll send a cheers of medicinal liquid in your general direction this evening.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    So today I had one of those appointments with destiny, or perhaps it is just a sign of aging. I had to visit a plastic surgeon to have a small spot of what the doctor thinks is skin cancer removed from my face. I got multiple stabs in the cheek with a needle full of novocain, and then the cutting and stitching began. It was actually pretty painless, and over quickly, but the doc warned me it would "be a little sore" tonight. So I am pretty sure it is going to hurt.

I am prepared. I have medicinal liquids on hand.

But as I was walking out of his office, with everyone passing by looking at my fresh bandage on my cheek, I thought to myself, I have the material for a really bad joke. I'll be sure to use it whenever possible too, at least for the next few days. You folks here are just the lucky first ones to have it inflicted upon you.
    Hopefully the biopsy will come back clean, and however it works out, I'm glad you had the smarts to get it checked. Just in case it helps through some transcendental medium, I'll partake in a little liquid anesthesia tonight in your honor.

Here's hoping it's benign. Think of it as "saving face".

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by str8shooter View Post
    Hopefully the biopsy will come back clean, and however it works out, I'm glad you had the smarts to get it checked. Just in case it helps through some transcendental medium, I'll partake in a little liquid anesthesia tonight in your honor.
    FN19 said: Here's hoping it's benign. Think of it as "saving face".
    Ok, you two seem to think this was for a biopsy? They shouldn't need to remove enough skin for stitches to simply get a sample to test. I had a biopsy done on my ever-growing bald spot, and no stitches were needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    Ok, you two seem to think this was for a biopsy? They shouldn't need to remove enough skin for stitches to simply get a sample to test. I had a biopsy done on my ever-growing bald spot, and no stitches were needed.
    I talked with my family physician, and had a consultation with the plastic surgeon as well. We all agreed. This spot was small enough that it was worth it just to take the whole thing instead of doing a biopsy and then perhaps having to do more. I was also told that this wasn't something a dermatologist would do, since it is on my face. So perhaps that is part of it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I talked with my family physician, and had a consultation with the plastic surgeon as well. We all agreed. This spot was small enough that it was worth it just to take the whole thing instead of doing a biopsy and then perhaps having to do more. I was also told that this wasn't something a dermatologist would do, since it is on my face. So perhaps that is part of it.

Ahh, mystery solved. Since you might have a small scar on your face, can we call you PennsyPlinkaargh?

Ahh, mystery solved. Since you might have a small scar on your face, can we call you PennsyPlinkaargh?
    It ain't the only one. I was detailing them for the doc. "This one over my right eye is from fighting on the school bus in second grade. The one through my left eyebrow is from a car accident in first grade. The one through my lip is from being run off the road while driving at 17. And there are two you can't see because they are under my beard. They came from being bitten by a dog when I was about 9."

I got called Frankenstein a lot growing up, partly because of the scars, and partly because I was bigger than all the other kids. So PennsyPlinkaargh would be mild!

Ok, you two seem to think this was for a biopsy?
    Sounds like I was mistaken, given Pennsy's response above. I stand quite happily corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    Sounds like I was mistaken, given Pennsy's response above. I stand quite happily corrected.
    Well, I am saving the rest of my face. You know, one of the things I tell people from time to time is the best way to save face is to not shoot the lower half of it off so much. Not that I am ever guilty of that!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast