Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Case re-use

(Allegheny County)

Default Case re-use

Just out of curiosity ... how many times can you reload a brass case? If it's kind of caliber specific, how about these:

9mm
    40 S&W

I'm really starting to consider getting into reloading ... just trying to learn as much as I can right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Default Re: Case re-use

How hot do you want to reload it. I've got .38 spl I've been loading as 148gr BBWC for 30 years, I stopped counting the number of times I've loaded them. I clean them and check them for splits, cracks and bad primer pockets. If it looks good I use it. If you want to load a hot jacketed round you need to think about using it more than 5 times. .308, .270, .243 and .223 I don't use more than 4 or 5 times and then only if they look safe. I've had new, factory loaded brass look bad after one shot. Always inspect your brass and if anything looks bad, get rid of it. Be safe.

(Lancaster County)

Depends!

Generally;

Pistol will reload more times than rifle.

In pistol, jacketed more than lead due to less case mouth flare needed.

In rifle, SS and bolt more than semi-auto, especially if you only neck size.

ALWAYS;

Light loads more than MAX loads.

Welcome to the club.

(Delaware County)

if you load the rounds with light loads, you can probably get 10+ uses out of the brass...it'll be worth the money to get into reloading once you pay off what you spent in terms of the cost of equipment.

just ask galactic. I know he paid a good bit for his Dillon and supplies that'll take him a while to pay off, but now he's got his equipment he can start shooting for cheaper.

right now, I think it's costing me roughly $12/100 rds of 9mm.

it's like $18-22 for 100rds in the store...

The good thing with reloads is you can maximize the accuracy for your pistols with amount of powder and the different types of powder you use.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Is there a difference to reloading .223 vs 5.56 for ARs? I know that 5.56 are a hotter load, but is the brass the same size?
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Is there a difference to reloading .223 vs 5.56 for ARs? I know that 5.56 are a hotter load, but is the brass the same size?
    Technically there are minute differences in the cases, but the load data for .223 is what I'd base reloads off of since you're not submitting anything for actual NATO testing. I've heard that 5.56 brass should last a reloader more than commercial .223 brass.

Im sure that Lycan or one of the experts can chime in. Im close to buying some reloading gear of my own (tax time!)

(Bucks County)

Too many factors involved for a simple answer. .380, 38 Special, .45ACP, 9mm and similar can be reloaded many times. I have .45's and .38's that have been loaded dozens of times.
    Rifle cases are a different animal. The brass manufactureer means alot. Lapua and Norma make long lasting cases albeit expensive. i just tossed out some Rem. .223 nickel plated cases. I know they were loaded 17 times. In fact the load was 22.6 grs. of WW844, Hornady 68 gr., and CCI magnum small rifle primers. Might add very accurate load in my H Bar. Out of the original 100 cases I lost 11 due to splitting.
    .308, .270, .30-06 etc. depending on the loads perhaps as few as one time to perhaps 10 ( or more ) times.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Lawrence County)

Low pressure cases can be loaded...a lot. .45 ACP can often be loaded until the case stamp is unreadable.

My 7mm STW loaded hot is good for 3 loads before the cases crack. Winchester brass tends to be maybe one load better than Remington..........

.40 cases loaded to major with Clays go bad pretty fast.......

5.56 brass is often thicker than .223 brass....by .5 grains. On hotter loadings you can overfill some 5.565 brass than has a some space left in .223 brass.

Take nothing for granted with rifles and max loads........with pistols you are somewhat safer.

Lycanit'spressurenotcaliberthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

That helps out a lot guys

Thanks for the info.