Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Bug Out Bag---Why bother?

I've seen lots of threads about BOB's over the years, and I actually have a basic one in my trunk. However, I can't seem to think of any real situation that one could get into where they would need something like this. I'm wondering why so many have spent a lot of time and money preparing extensive BOB's. I can see situations where some extra food and water may be needed. You might need a First aid kit, and a change of clothes, but why would you need stuff like a tent, fire starting tools, camping equipment, fishing equipment, para cords, etc.

I'm thinking that most people would be far better off hunkering down in their homes and apartments if something really bad would happen. We don't get too many major natural disasters around here, so what are people planning on doing with these extensive BOB's? Also, why does seemingly nobody have a pint of whiskey or something in their BOB's? If I were in some really bad SHTF situation, I know that simple things like this would go a long way towards keeping my moral up.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

Default Re: Bug Out Bag---Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I've seen lots of threads about BOB's over the years, and I actually have a basic one in my trunk. However, I can't seem to think of any real situation that one could get into where they would need something like this. I'm wondering why so many have spent a lot of time and money preparing extensive BOB's. I can see situations where some extra food and water may be needed. You might need a First aid kit, and a change of clothes, but why would you need stuff like a tent, fire starting tools, camping equipment, fishing equipment, para cords, etc.

I'm thinking that most people would be far better off hunkering down in their homes and apartments if something really bad would happen. We don't get too many major natural disasters around here, so what are people planning on doing with these extensive BOB's? Also, why does seemingly nobody have a pint of whiskey or something in their BOB's? If I were in some really bad SHTF situation, I know that simple things like this would go a long way towards keeping my moral up.
    Bet if you lived in NYC in 2001, you could see many reasons to have all the stuff you can't see needing now...
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

I just want to be able to take responsibility for myself if something happens, and make sure my loved ones are safe and comfortable. And by something, I mean anything. I don't have a BoB together yet, but I am planning on piecing one together ASAP.

(Lehigh County)

Gotta rep the mention of booze!

Don't Bug Out Without It!

(Can't leave dear Old Granddad behind!)
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; February 10th, 2009 at 12:10 PM.

(Montgomery County)

Bet if you lived in NYC in 2001, you could see many reasons to have all the stuff you can't see needing now...
    I can't picture any type of orderly evacuation of New York. I also can't picture the average New Yorker "roughing it". And why would they need to?

Quote Originally Posted by Perkascene View Post
    I just want to be able to take responsibility for myself if something happens, and make sure my loved ones are safe and comfortable. And by something, I mean anything. I don't have a BoB together yet, but I am planning on piecing one together ASAP.
    Ok, so what possible situation can you foresee that you would need to camp out somewhere? And then what?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kayland View Post
    Gotta rep the mention of booze!

Don't Bug Out Without It!

(Can't leave dear Old Granddad behind!)
    Thanks! I would think that alcohol and cigarettes would be as valuable as food and water in extreme situations. I'm still wondering what situation would require people to camp out and live off the land. You can only take so much with you, and it's lots more comfy at home than in a tent.

(Cambria County)

But what if you had to drop and run. Do it now........... Are you ready to just get up and go.

Everyone in the city leaving at the same time. Are you going to make better time on foot, or sitting in traffic.

You may have to live off your bag for a day or two till you get to a safe area.

Is it likely that I will need my B.O.B.? Nope. And, I probably will go thru my entire life and never draw my handgun in selfdefense too. But I still won't leave home without it.

Note to self:
    Add flask of Cinnamon Sippin Whiskey to B.O.B.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    I'm still wondering what situation would require people to camp out and live off the land. You can only take so much with you, and it's lots more comfy at home than in a tent.
    Ask the people in Australia that question right now. They can tell you what would make you get up and run at the drop of a hat. And those that didn't are dead.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    Ask the people in Australia that question right now. They can tell you what would make you get up and run at the drop of a hat. And those that didn't are dead.

I can't agree that this was a BOB situation. Most, if not all of those people had advanced warning and could have safely retreated to a safer area along with whatever they could cram into their cars and trucks. Many Australians are equipped to deal with wildfires. The ones that stayed behind chose to do so thinking that their property could be saved. Many of them have done this successfully in the past. It was the unusual weather that made things so bad this time around.

Our bug out bags also serve as our "hunker down in the house and try not to freeze" bags. We are capable of travelling a certain distance with a great deal of comfort if we need to. Frankly, the only way I could see a need to go too terribly far would be in case of civil disruption. However, there are several scenarios here where I could foresee a need to get to our friend's house about 12 miles away, or vice versa, and need to be able to take food, heat, hygiene, weapons, and other survival supplies with us. Flood, blizzard, tornado outbreak... all could cause a breakdown of civil services, and all could necessitate surviving either on our own for a few weeks, or getting hooked up with our friends for mutual support. Course, BOB in it's grandest form isn't just bags/packs, it's a really cool cart and a red wagon. We're gonna survive in style, if we have the option of doing more than just the basics We've got several different "levels" of goodies we can take depending on the circumstances.

Just check what's happening down in Kentucky. Several weeks ago, we had a big blizzard here, and they had a big ice storm there. FEMA hasn't been much help, nor has anybody else. They've got no power, roads are out or blocked, no food, water, etc., or very limited supplies. They are on their own to live, or supporting each other.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; February 10th, 2009 at 12:49 PM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast