Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Employment Opportunities Sticky.....

Look.....

I see a BUNCH of our fellow PAFOA'ers mention, in passing, that they're "still out of work", "recently laid off", "I'm fearful that my job is going any day now", etc......

Let's help our brothers and sisters from within.
    I try and post stuff like this http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/48...out-there.html time and again.....but it gets quickly lost in the high turn-over rate of "The Lounge"

We should have a place stickied where PAFOA members can post what they feel to be job opportunities for other members to see.

There are SOOOO many jobs available that CANNOT be seen in the classifieds or easily found on Monster & such.
    The sticky wouldn't be a contest to see how many jobs a user can post......
    What matters are jobs that have value. Or jobs that aren't easily found via typical employment advertising media. Or opportunities in YOUR employer that you want to let other PAFOA'ers have a shot at.

The point is that most of us (I hope) are fortunate to HAVE work......I am incredibly thankful each day for that. I cannot IMAGINE the worry & stress & WORSE that would come if I ever faced a layoff.

Let's add something to PAFOA that provides value for those of us who are not so fortunate.

Sticky an Employment Opportunity thread.

Your thoughts?
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Employment Opportunities Sticky.....

I dunno, while good intentioned, if your out of work there really isnt a good excuse in my mind to be hanging on a firearms board looking for work (unless of course, its firearms work - and then, this is the OWNERS Association board anyway).

Ive always been an advocate of building your professional network and keeping relevant in your field. I agree that Monster sucks adn most of what Ive ever seen there is one job posted by two hundred contingency firms anyway. Personally the thread "what do you do" at least gives everyone an idea of what other folks do for a living... if your in a relevant industry reach out directly to them.

Id suggest building a profile on LinkedIN to advertise yourself. As for posting jobs here - well lets say I have a job to do and dont come here to build my career. I think that the idea has great intentions, Im not too sure that you would see participation from the folks that have work however (I could be way off base on this one, but thats my gut feeling).

Just my two cents - dont take it the wrong way.
    Last edited by /dev/null; February 10th, 2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: clarification

(Northampton County)

Thumbs up Re: Employment Opportunities Sticky.....

Gary - I think a sticky is a great idea.

Anything that gives one of our own an edge in finding work during these times is worthwhile.

Good thinking!
    So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by /dev/null View Post
    I dunno, while good intentioned, if your out of work there really isnt a good excuse in my mind to be hanging on a firearms board looking for work (unless of course, its firearms work - and then, this is the OWNERS Association board anyway).

Ive always been an advocate of building your professional network and keeping relevant in your field. I agree that Monster sucks adn most of what Ive ever seen there is one job posted by two hundred contingency firms anyway. Personally the thread "what do you do" at least gives everyone an idea of what other folks do for a living... if your in a relevant industry reach out directly to them.

Id suggest building a profile on LinkedIN to advertise yourself. As for posting jobs here - well lets say I have a job to do and dont come here to build my career. I think that the idea has great intentions, Im not too sure that you would see participation from the folks that have work however (I could be way off base on this one, but thats my gut feeling).

Just my two cents - dont take it the wrong way.

you can only apply/look for jobs for so many hours a day...you do gotta give yourself a few hour break every now and then.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Berks County)

I think this would be a wonderful idea!

I don't know how much traffic it would have or how long it would be useful but for the time being I think it could truly make a difference in someones life.

(Allegheny County)

Great idea!!!
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Washington County)

My company is looking for a chemical/lab technician. You'd be working for me. Experience needed. Located in Monongahela, PA. If you're seriously looking, PM me for more details.

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post

I don't know how much traffic it would have or how long it would be useful but for the time being I think it could truly make a difference in someones life.
    That's sorta the point.

I NEVER want to be down on my luck looking for a job.

A job posted in the Times Leader or on Monster may have 5,000+ applications.
    These 'insider announcements' may only have dozens....or less.

It's no guarantee - but it's better than nothing at all.

Help a PAFOA'er out!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook

(Beaver County)

I had talked with another board member on here. It was a job as a Correctional Officer at the county jail I work in

(Lackawanna County)

OK…….FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS:

Go to http://www.cpol.army.mil/

Choose the EMPLOYMENT option in the middle left portion of the web page.

Choose the ‘Search for jobs’ button/link from the left menu.

You are now on the Vacancy Announcement Board.

Scroll down and select ONLY the state you want jobs for from the State menu.

Read the bullets in the Applicant Eligibility portion. Choose YES or NO. Your opportunities will be much greater if you qualify ‘YES’ on any of them.

Click the “Get Results’ button on the bottom right corner of the page.

View the jobs.

Follow the instructions at the bottom of each announcement to figure out how to apply.

-

This is the important part – Apply if it’s your ‘field’. But when you read the announcement…..don’t be intimidated by the language of the announcement. Apply to all that’s your field.
    Don’t disqualify yourself – apply and let THEM disqualify you.

Also – When you go in and build your resume in the Army Resume Builder…..it’s a lot different from how resume’s are built/viewed in private industry.
    We’re taught to keep our resumes brief. Clear, concise, and to the point.
    The Army Resume Builder is different. Put as much relevant (truthful) detail as you can. You’re allowed 12,000 or so characters….use ‘em.
    After you self-nominate for a job, a computer scans your resume for keywords that match what the hiring officials are looking for. THAT is what qualifies you or disqualifies you for the job. Then, the qualified applications have a human review to determine a pool of ‘most qualified’ candidates. From there, a selection or interviews are set.
    It doesn’t hurt to try.

-
    Gary in Pennsylvania

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast