Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Question on 870 magazine extension install

I picked up a 3 shot magazine extension for my Remington 870. Apparently mine is one of the newer models with the dimples that need to be removed. Do any of you folks who are mechanically inclined have any recommendations on how to eliminate these to facilitate my conversion of my 870 to Zombie-chic? The factory info says 1. Buy our special tool or 2. use a half round file. I imagine the file will rip the living hell out of everything and I'm too cheap to buy the tool since it's a one time shot most likely. It wouldn't appear to be difficult to pop the dimples back out. I just can't figure out how. Anyone have experience?

Also, since the plastic cup that holds the original magazine spring locks into those dimples, will modifying the magazine to accept the extension limit my ability to swap back to the smaller magazine so that i can make it legal for blasting bunnies and geese w/ the 3-shot plug?

Thanks,
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Question on 870 magazine extension install

I used the file method. It did rip things up a bit in the tube, but it functions just fine. How often areyou going to see the inside of the tube? As long as it doesnt mess with the function, who cares what it looks like in there.
    My only other suggestion would be to use a Dremel tool with some kind of metal cutting attachment.... that should work as well.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Bucks County)

I here people just drill them out, but Im a Mossberg guy so I have no more info.

(Allegheny County)

I drilled mine out then hit it with the dremmel on the inside to remove remaining bumps, worked out great.

(Berks County)

ok i just did this around x mas....my wife got me an extension for a present......i started by taking the barrel off....using a very small drill bit i drove a pilot hole into the center of the first dimple....then used a bigger drill bit until the dimple was completly removed, then repeat on other side....after i was done as careful as i drilled i noticed there was some burrs on the inside of the tube, all i used for that was a dremel and the griding sanding wheel...dimples gone......i was thinking about blueing the exposed metal when i have a little more time...hope i can help

(Bucks County)

It's not that you have the "newer" model, but what you have is the Express version of the 870. Wingmasters' don't have the dimple, just a cap that has slits in it.

I tried the 'bang it flat with a socket' routine first and it was not too satisfactory. I then used a Dremel tool to remove the remaining bits and cold blued the area when done. Works great. If I wee to do it again I would probably just drill them out, clean with the Dremel and then blue. Bluing may not be necessary, but it made me feel better!

(Cumberland County)

I did one of the dimples with a dremel and it slipped a couple of times leaving some ugly scars (no big deal since it is on the inside) so I decided to slow it down a little and use a 1/2 round file. It worked great and it was a lot faster than I thought it would be. I was able to file it so the only "shiny" spot was were the actual dimple was. The moral of this story is take your time and use a file... A dremel eats too much too fast, and only saves about 5 minutes per dimple.

As far as reverting back to no extension... It is no problem, the dimples seem to only make it a PITA to add an extension but the plastic cup works just fine without them.
    Last edited by JFrost26; February 11th, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

(Wayne County)

Thanks guys! I never woulda thought of drilling the thing out. Seems too simple now that think of it. But, that's why I asked.

As far as blueing the scratches goes, I've been using one of those blueing pens that looks like a Sharpie magic marker. I've used it on a couple good scratches so far. Seems to work well for small stuff w/out a lot of fuss. Cost about $4 at Gander Mt. They have 'em back by the reloading stuff. You may want to try one out for yourself. I keep it right in my cleaning box.

Thanks again. That's an amendment to my "honey-do" list this weekend.

(Wayne County)

Well, it took a week longer than anticipated, but I got it done this evening. Only took about 20 minutes. Drilled 2 holes/side, cleaned it up w/ a dremel tool, cleaned out the debris and blued the bare metal.

Once assembled w/ the new 20" bbl w/ deer rifle sights and it's a thing of beauty!

Thanks again for the tip.