Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Armstrong County)

Default HELP! AMMO for an AR. 1/7twist

Ive got a question and want some outside input. Ive got an AR with a 1/7 twist, 20" heavy barrel, 5.56 , made by bushmaster, Ive been told that it is NOT ok to use factory ammunitions in it, and I must use handloads. Ive been told that the gun required a heavier grain bullet, and to only use 69gr and higher. The reason for this was the faster twist. Is there any truth to this? Will shooting 55gr surplus really hurt the rifle, or is it strictly an accuracy issue? Please explain, and help settle my mind.
    Last edited by thetruepyromaniak; February 12th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: HELP! AMMO for an AR. 1/7twist

Quote Originally Posted by thetruepyromaniak View Post
    Ive got a question and want some outside input. Ive got an AR with a 1/7 twist, 20" heavy barrel, 5.56 , made by bushmaster, Ive been told that it is NOT ok to use factory ammunitions in it, and I must use handloads. The guy I got it from said that gun required a heavier grain bullet, and to only use 69gr and higher. He told me te reason for this was the faster twist. Is there any truth to this? Will shooting 55gr surplus really hurt the rifle, or is it strictly an accuracy issue? Please explain, and help settle my mind.
    What you have been told is total BS ,While its true it will stabilize heavier bullets upto a 80 gr MK it will also shoot the plain jane 55 gr. accurately too it just has a faster twist than needed for the lighter bullets so feel free to shoot any weight bullet you want in that 1:7 twist, load up and enjoy your new rifle.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Ault; February 9th, 2009 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    What you have been told is total BS ,While its true it will stabilize heavier bullets upto 80 gr MK it will also shoot the plain jane 55 gr. well also . so load up and enjoy your new rifle.

Tim
    beat me to it.

(Centre County)

I'll go thirds on the BS. The faster twist is used to stabilize a heavier bullet but that doesn't mean that it won't shoot a lighter bullet. It just may not be as accurate. I do believe that you can find Ar rounds loaded with heavier bullets, you may just need to search a bit. Try MidwayUSA, Natchez, and some of the other ammo makers to see what is factory loaded if that's the way you want to start out.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

Very interesting.

The owner of the gun shop where I bought my Stag also recommended the lighter 55 gr bullets with my 1/7 barrel.

I gotta admit he's outnumbered by the responses here, but can anyone provide a link to some documentation on this?

So far, I have only shot 62gr, but I have a bunch of 55gr I'm going to be trying on my next shoot.

I'm expecting most of my shooting with this rifle to be 200yds and under , so I wouldn't mind shooting heavier bullets.

What say ye, oh mighty PAFOA?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Fayette County)

you can shoot whatever you want out of a 1:7
    55 gr., 80 gr. and everything in between.

i'd watch shooting lighter than 55 gr. because i've heard that the bullets can be over stabilized, and will blow apart a few feet out of the muzzle. just what i've heard so it could be wrong

Hate to swim against the tide but our Bushmaster 1/7 does not like the .52's. It will shoot about a 4-5" group at 100 yds. The issue is just accuracy not anything else.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Smile Re: HELP! AMMO for an AR. 1/7twist

Hey lets take your camp perry rifle,my beat up Bushmaster and a bunch of my 55 gr. handloads to the range at Dayton and shoot some groups. You'll find out once and for all that your rifle will do as least OK with them!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmdgeon View Post
    Very interesting.

The owner of the gun shop where I bought my Stag also recommended the lighter 55 gr bullets with my 1/7 barrel.

I gotta admit he's outnumbered by the responses here, but can anyone provide a link to some documentation on this?

So far, I have only shot 62gr, but I have a bunch of 55gr I'm going to be trying on my next shoot.

I'm expecting most of my shooting with this rifle to be 200yds and under , so I wouldn't mind shooting heavier bullets.

What say ye, oh mighty PAFOA?
    What type of documentation are you looking for?
    Again the 1:7 twist will shoot the 55 gr just fine with no issues will it shot it more accurately than a heavier IE:69-77gr bullets ? Maybe yes maybe no all depend on that rifle and load. an example the rifle I shoot Highpower comp with its a wilson 1:8 twist it shoots a stubby little 55 gr flatbase soft point better than any heavy long range "match" bullet I have tried in it out to two hundred yds! Fast twists Will shoot light bullets accurately dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Tim

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Ault View Post
    What type of documentation are you looking for?
    Again the 1:7 twist will shoot the 55 gr just fine with no issues will it shot it more accurately than a heavier IE:69-77gr bullets ? Maybe yes maybe no all depend on that rifle and load. an example the rifle I shoot Highpower comp with its a wilson 1:8 twist it shoots a stubby little 55 gr flatbase soft point better than any heavy long range "match" bullet I have tried in it out to two hundred yds! Fast twists Will shoot light bullets accurately dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Tim

My point was that I was told to stay away from the heavier bullets. Keep the bullet weight under 60gr or so.

Not because it would cause some sort of 'problem', only because a 1/7 soots lighter bullets better, and a 1/9 twist shoots heavier bullets better.

My question is a little different than the OP's.

So... in the absence of any documentation, articles from bench tests, etc... I have no issue with going by word-of-mouth, but I have 2 sources saying exactly the opposite.

Or am I missing something?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast