Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Taurus PT1911 45 ACP opinions......

I am looking at possibly getting a Taurus PT1911 45 ACP pistol. I have heard mostly good things about this firearm and want to put the question to forum members here.

What is your experience with the Taurus 1911 45acp? Would you recommend it?

Thank you-

Rourke

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Taurus PT1911 45 ACP opinions......

Quote Originally Posted by Rourke View Post
    I am looking at possibly getting a Taurus PT1911 45 ACP pistol. I have heard mostly good things about this firearm and want to put the question to forum members here.

What is your experience with the Taurus 1911 45acp? Would you recommend it?

Thank you-

Rourke
    I have one, I have some where around 4,000rds through it and it still shoots great. I would strongly recommend it.

PS> It even shoots Wolf ammo very well

(Lancaster County)

Actually, I too recommend this pistol. I have had some bad experiences with Taurus but the 1911 is another story. Since Ive had it I cant think of a single problem. I took it out a few times and shot it side by side to my Kimber Eclipse and it performed quite well. My experience is that this may be the most solid platform Taurus has.

(Westmoreland County)

I have one and love it! I haven't had a single problem, FTF or FTE yet! Good gun for money!

(Westmoreland County)

Save your money and buy something better. I don't own one, but 5 people I know have had to send their's back and deal with the nightmare of Taurus' customer service. Buy something else in a series 70 platform.

For a few dollars more you can get a STI Spartan.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post
    Save your money and buy something better. I don't own one, but 5 people I know have had to send their's back and deal with the nightmare of Taurus' customer service. Buy something else in a series 70 platform.

What were the issues these 5 people had? I know of the safety issue that plagued the 1st gen's, but even that was a quick 5min fix. I haven't heard of many safety issues after the 1st gen

For the price, I don't think you are going to get another 1911 with the same features.
    Last edited by Fr0sty; February 9th, 2009 at 09:49 AM.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by hzox221 View Post

being that i'm also in the market for an affordable 1911, i've asked the opinions of people here, and of every shopowner in my area. almost every single one of them held the Taurus in high regard. shopowners warned me away from the STI; they're problematic, and the turnover rate is higher than average. these same shopowners say they see very few Taurus 1911s come back.

(Bucks County)

I did not want to like the Taurus but must admit that there is nothing I do not like about mine. As far as their customer support / service - I have never needed to deal with it but the almost universal thinking of everybody I know is that Taurus has a excellent reputation for standing behind their products. I would like to hear more about the "5 people" before I change my thinking.

Another plus is, as has been mentioned, all guns shops I talked to also report near zero complaints from customers.

That said, do a search here as I seem to remember one member had some negative issue with his. Not uncommon considering the large number sold and one dud gun does not make a lemon.

Bang for buck I think it remains a real winner.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0sty View Post
    What were the issues these 5 people had? I know of the safety issue that plagued the 1st gen's, but even that was a quick 5min fix. I haven't heard of many safety issues after the 1st gen

For the price, I don't think you are going to get another 1911 with the same features.
    Safety, barrel Lugg shearing off, guide rod breaking, sear cracking, mag catch, etc. It is just not a good gun if you are going to shoot it alot. For the causual shooter, it might be good. I look for guns that can shoot 50K plus rounds without breaking.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    being that i'm also in the market for an affordable 1911, i've asked the opinions of people here, and of every shopowner in my area. almost every single one of them held the Taurus in high regard. shopowners warned me away from the STI; they're problematic, and the turnover rate is higher than average. these same shopowners say they see very few Taurus 1911s come back.
    They say that because they stock Taurus's. Very few gun shops stock STI's. I have found very few people that work in Gun Shop's that actually know what they are talking about when it comes to 1911's. They may know what they read in a gun magizine or values, but very rarely what actually works. Most gun buyers will never put more than 500 rounds through a gun. They can be fooled by a good saleman.

The STI Spartans are made on an Armscor frame and slide with STI parts, much better quality than a Taurus or RIA. Good 1911's are like a hot rod, you need to be willing to tweak the gun to fit your needs.

I view taurus as what a ferrari would be if it was made by yugo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast