Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Carry question

(Cumberland County)

Default Carry question

This might be a stupid question. But, I just thought about it. An woundered if it was legal. If you carry a concealed gun on you. Not loaded,or no ammo on you. If it was legal, If you do not have a LTCF? I mean, It really would be harmless. But say something did happen. You could use it as a " scare tactic" An could honestly save your life. Even though its not loaded. Or say someone wanted to practice Concealing/ Carrying a gun. Before they got there license to carry. So, you could be more comfortable with it. I heard something about it being legal somewhere an woundered if it was here.
    Last edited by 40 cal; February 8th, 2009 at 03:02 PM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Carry question

IANAL but NO!!! you cannot do that. Also, IMO that is a great idea if your goal is to get shot or beaten to death, otherwise I would not pull an empty weapon on someone.

(Jefferson County)

Load status means nothing, carrying the firearm concealed itself is the prohibited factor.

Quote Originally Posted by 40 cal View Post
    This might be a stupid question. But, I just thought about it. An woundered if it was legal. If you carry a concealed gun on you. Not loaded,or no ammo on you. If it was legal, If you do not have a LTCF? I mean, It really would be harmless. But say something did happen. You could use it as a " scare tactic" An could honestly save your life. Even though its not loaded. Or say someone wanted to practice Concealing/ Carrying a gun. Before they got there license to carry. So, you could be more comfortable with it. I heard something about it being legal somewhere an woundered if it was here.
    Although the PA UFA does not specify loaded or unloaded, I would take it to mean it is not legal either way, loaded or unloaded, to conceal without the LTCF.

"§ 6109. Licenses.
    (a) Purpose of license.--A license to carry a firearm shall
    be for the purpose of carrying a firearm concealed on or about
    one's person or in a vehicle throughout this Commonwealth".

(Cumberland County)

Lol, I didnt plan on doing it neither. Just thought of it. An woundered opinions on this, an if it was Legal. But, still most minor criminals I dont think want to hurt anyone. If they are just tryin to rob you, w/e. You might scare them away.

(Cumberland County)

You said "Although the PA UFA does not specify loaded or unloaded, I would take it to mean it is not legal either way, loaded or unloaded, to conceal without the LTCF."

Thats what I was getting at by asking that question.
    I didnt know. But like I said I wasnt plan on doing this. Just curious lol.

Thanks guys

(Philadelphia County)

That's like the guy arrested for "armed" robbery saying "well, it was only my finger under my shirt..I didn't actually have a gun." Still armed robbery. So the answer is No.
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by 40 cal View Post
    Lol, I didnt plan on doing it neither. Just thought of it. An woundered opinions on this, an if it was Legal. But, still most minor criminals I dont think want to hurt anyone. If they are just tryin to rob you, w/e. You might scare them away.

However, if you flash your gun, and the minor criminal decides to step it up a notch, you just lost your unloaded weapon. And, another weapon makes it to the streets illegally, and the anti-gun lobby has more ammo to use against us!! Not a wise decision....if you carry it, and pull it, you better damn well plan on using it.

(Luzerne County)

Actually, the law does seem pretty clear on this one. 18 Pa.C.S. § 6106: Firearms not to be carried without a license (e)(1) states that it is illegal to carry concealed “any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive or the frame or receiver of the weapon.” With this wording, whether the object is capable of expelling a projectile at that particular moment is moot. If the object was designed to expel a projectile (via explosive), you need a license to carry it. Further, even if you are just carrying the frame or receiver in your pocket (or vehicle, etc.), with no other parts, you would technically still need a license to carry it.

Are you out of your mind? What kind of thinking process is going on in your head to even ask that question? Carrying "just to scare someone"? Look, if you are not prepared to use that weapon you carry, then you SHOULD NOT CARRY! I have been around firearms all my adult life, starting around your age, and such a thought was never even contemplated in my little mind.SHEESCH!!!!!!!!!!!