Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Taurus Model 66 7 shot?

Anybody have any direct experience with these revolvers? How accurate, pluses and minuses?

Please note, I'm just looking for folks who have actually shot or owned these particular revolvers. I'm well aware there are Taurus haters out there who will never have anything good to say about the guns. Those responses aren't useful, since frankly they are usually full of crap.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Taurus Model 66 7 shot?

I've got one... bought it off a fellow on this board who was having some financial difficulties... shoots both .38 and .357... 6" barrel, so it's very accurate, but the size makes it no good for concealed carry, obviously... strictly a range and home defense gun... so far no quality issues... I also have a .38 Taurus snubby and no complaints.
    Last edited by Robert Kayland; February 8th, 2009 at 03:50 AM.

(Cambria County)

About 1000 rounds through mine in the last few years, mostly lead, no problems.
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Lancaster County)

Mine is a 4 inch and very solid gun and reliable. It shoots close to the same groups of my 6 inch Ruger out to about 25 yards. Past that, the longer barreled guns start to outperform it. For HD or even carry the 4" seemed to be the right choice for me. I stand behind this gun. I have had problems with a Taurus 24/7 in the past, so I'm definately not a "Taurus is great" guy, but this model 66 is solid. Ive recommended them before and 4 years later I still do.

(Bedford County)

I would run away from the model 66 or any other Taurus revolver made in the last few years. I have seen a lot of good ones...make that many good ones.
    I have however seen more than a few junkers right out of the box.

I have 100 rounds through a new model 66 seven shot revolver. It is without a doubt the biggest POS I have ever seen. The cylinder locked up tight on the first seven shots fired. This gun had 3 major flaws straight from the factory that brought us to the cylinder lock up.... but I wont get into that in this thread.

I will say that I looked up a few replacement parts for my friend who is the owner...and I found none in stock at Gun Parts Corp.

So we called Taurus and found that they will not allow a gunsmith to make repairs the gun had to be returned to the factory at the owners expense. I asked about a turn around time and the guy on the other end told me that the parts were not even in Florida and they had no idea when the parts would be in. All returned guns would be fixed in the order they were recieved and no turn around time could be given.

For the price of a Taurus I would run away and go straight to the Ruger GP100 or Smith and Wesson 686. Much better guns made in America and serviced for life by companies that at least give a shit enough to make things right and treat you like a human being. Sorry for the rant!

BTW: anyone that thinks this is "Taurus bashing" or a line of BS... please contact me asap! The gun in question is still broken waitng for replacement parts and it IS FOR SALE!!! He will make you a sweet deal.

i know you asked for people with direct experience with them... and i dont fit that equest... but my raging bull has inspired me to look at the same revolver you are looking at.

i will be getting one, and would have it already but money has to go to other priorities right now. its a great little piece and iwll function just as good as any other revolver.

the life time no questiosn asked waranty is awesome. i have never needed to use mine, and am confident i wont have to.
    This Space For Rent

(Butler County)

I have owned a 4" Model 627 7 shot for five years. It is usually the gun in my pack on opening day. Takes .38 or .357 and has the Ripper Grip which I really like.

(Delaware County)

I have one. Bought an older one from a retired police officer. Taurus has a life of the gun warranty. I sent it in for a minor issue, and they offered me a replacement model 66 in 7 shot. the only thing I paid for was the shipping.

It is a 6 inch model, and is as accurate as the person pulling the trigger.

all in all a solid revolver in my opinion, although it has become a bit of a safe queen lately.
    Of every one hundred men in battle, ten should not even be there. Eighty, are nothing but targets. Nine are the real fighters, we are lucky to have them since they make the battle. Ah, but the one—one is the Warrior—and he brings the others home. —Heracletus

(Allegheny County)

Got my stepdad one for Christmas in 1993....It was his first pistol and he shot it alot,, even got into reloading because of that Taurus 66..His was a 6 shot model and he also took a couple deer with it...I don't think he will ever part with it..

just bought the 4" on friday. havent been able to shoot it just yet, but i will soon...
    This Space For Rent