Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Little AR insight if ya could..

Hey all, looking for some input on my AR. I've got a stag lower with 2 stage trigger, a2 stock. Just bought a lmt 16" upper with bravo co. bcg. I want max reliability out of this thing and was wondering what all you would do to improve upon my platform. I was thinking those 1 piece gas rings, got a spare parts repair kit... any other suggestions? as always, thanks.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Little AR insight if ya could..

Sell it and buy a Colt.

(sorry, couldn't resist )

Shoot the shit out of it and keep it clean and wet. Don't use metal tools to clean it like the military does (except for barrel and chamber brush), don't use break cleaner, etc. The LMT upper should serve you well from what I hear.

(Chester County)

Freakin colts man, I should have known. Tell you what prices are out of sight on those suckers right now.

You're really on you way with a good stable platform

I'd say get youself set with ammo and mags and an optic to your preference (I prefer aimpoint) and go from there.

(Philadelphia County)

Forget about the 1 piece gas ring, they aren't worth the trouble. I'd say to max out reliability put in a single stage trigger and there's a guy who works AR real well. His reliability packages are affordable and worth every penny, unfortunately I don't have access to my computer and it's bookmarks so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to look him up. Until then you want to get a BUIS and a spring kit is always good to have on hand. Also buy all the mags you can find and enough ammo to fill them all at least twice over. Pmags and Maglevels are preferable but and quality USGI Al mags work as well. Also get a good sling setup, light, a chest rig and BOB. Then take any money leftover and rather than spending it on lots of cool guy stuff take a carbine course or two because once it gets right down to it the most kickass Colt is next to worthless if you don't know what you're doing with it.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

single stage trigger eh, I will look into this. got a buis, thanks guys

(Chester County)

I hope I don't come across as being insulting...but the weak link in the chain in often the operator.

A carbine course where you learn how to keep the carbine running, and how to fix it when it stops would probably get you the most mileage for you money.

Also, weak spots in the carbine that might need upgrades/ tweaks will present themselves in such a course.

Good luck dude.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Sell it and buy a Colt.

(sorry, couldn't resist )

The LMT upper should serve you well from what I hear.
    Yes and no. IIRC CMT actually makes the receivers for both Colt and Stag. I think there are only around four companies that make them. LMT does Bushmaster and some others. Anybody? Am I just "mis-remembering" worse than a Congressman in front of a grand jury?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by panther76 View Post
    Yes and no. IIRC CMT actually makes the receivers for both Colt and Stag. I think there are only around four companies that make them. LMT does Bushmaster and some others. Anybody? Am I just "mis-remembering" worse than a Congressman in front of a grand jury?
    I'm not too sure that's true.

The more important thing about all that "who forges for who" stuff...is that ALL the big names MACHINE the forgings themselves. And how well they are machined makes the biggest difference.

It's kinda like saying the frames for Ford Focus's come from the same steel mill as Porche's frames. It doesn't mean a whole lot, as it's what is done with those blank frames/lowers that makes a difference.

(York County)

Nice job going with that upper combo, it should do you well. For max reliability, start gathering up some quality mags, maybe a spare BCG. Most problems with the upper will be with the upper bolt assembly or the extractor, and having a complete unit to swap out will get you running again in short order at the range or during a course. Keep everything clean and well lubed and you'll have years of fun with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast