Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default So do you think we have it good here in Pennsylvania?

As far as being able to freely own and carry firearms in comparison to the other 49 states? What states are more relaxed than our state? For instance, we're not banned on clip count, we can buy as many firearms at any given time we can afford, and we have the right to carry any where in the state we go to. Just curious if we have it better than most of the other states. I know we don't have Castle Doctrine but we have a lot more rights than a lot of the other states.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: So do you think we have it good here in Pennsylvania?

Alaska, Vermont, Virginia, and Kentucky come to mind.

Some of our 'cons' include no provision for unlicensed car carry and a "new" background check for every purchase - even if you're already licensed.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Delaware County)

I think Alaska and Vermont have no permit needed laws. So they might be better.. But I love PA. I was born here and I live here still!! I love the gun laws and the motorcycle helmet laws.. The only thing I would want them to do is change the beer and State Store rules.(Even though I don't drink)

But it is sad that we are surrounded by NJ, NY and MD where I live.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Schuylkill County)

There are a couple of good sites to check out laws in other states.
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=NJ
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...ates_(by_state)

The Brady folks have a ranking system for gun laws. Worst places to be a gun owner are California, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland and New York. Pennsylvania is in 10th place (10th most strict out of 50). The best places are Kentucky and Oklahoma.
    http://www.stategunlaws.org/xshare/p...d_rankings.pdf

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    ...we're not banned on clip count...
    Its...

...not...

Sorry, pet peeve.

On topic, I know PA has a long way to go to actually being compliant in the whole 'blah, liberty, and blah for all" department, but I know we have it far better than our komrades in Cali or the PRNJ.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Alaska, Vermont, Virginia, and Kentucky come to mind.
    Those are all great states for carry, but each one of them (except Vermont) has more restrictions on where you can carry than PA.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Those are all great states for carry, but each one of them (except Vermont) has more restrictions on where you can carry than PA.
    True, and that affects all citizens. Here in Pa., there are fewer prohibited places, but even if you want to OC, you can't actually get the firearm to the places you are permitted to carry unless your licensed - which I believe is not the case in each of the states I mentioned. So, what's the point of being "allowed" to carry there, if you can't actually (legally) get the firearm to that location?
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    True, and that affects all citizens. Here in Pa., there are fewer prohibited places, but even if you want to OC, you can't actually get the firearm to the places you are permitted to carry unless your licensed - which I believe is not the case in each of the states I mentioned. So, what's the point of being "allowed" to carry there, if you can't actually (legally) get the firearm to that location?
    Yeah, PA's car carry laws have always seemed uncharacteristically stringent to me compared to the rest of the UFA and other firearm-related laws. I wish we had SC's car carry law (loaded in the console or glove box allowed w/o permit). That makes transiting through SC tolerable and more convenient than places like MD, as long as I don't stop.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Berks County)

I think we have it pretty good. It's not perfect, but it's good enough that I left NY and moved here primarily because of gun laws.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    As far as being able to freely own and carry firearms in comparison to the other 49 states? What states are more relaxed than our state? For instance, we're not banned on clip count, we can buy as many firearms at any given time we can afford, and we have the right to carry any where in the state we go to. Just curious if we have it better than most of the other states. I know we don't have Castle Doctrine but we have a lot more rights than a lot of the other states.
    We do in deed have "Castle Doctrine". You have no duty to flee your home(or place of work). What we lack is Stand Your Ground provisions for places other than your home or work.

In comparison to the other states, PA ranks up there pretty high. There are only three things that keeps us from being truly a free state: the "firearm" transfer issue, the requirement to have a license to conceal and in a vehicle, and the SYG issue.

From all the states that tends to go "blue" at election time, PA is the most gun friendly. Even higher than many of the "red" states. We are one of the least restricted places list in the nation. Hell, try legally carrying while watching a parade in some states. Or going into Pizza Hut in others.
    Last edited by knight0334; February 8th, 2009 at 07:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast