Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default PICs and Federal Background check the same?

I was wondering if the PICs background check and a Federal Background check for firearms ownership are the same thing. If not what are the differences if they are known?

I am thinking about applying to for licensing such as that needed for FFL manufacturer or ownership of an NFA "all other weapons". I have seen breach guns 12ga with 7 inch or 10 inch barrels which from what I have read qualify as a handgun as long as they are properly registered. Therefore would also be covered under an LTCF. I cannot think of a better home defense weapon offhand. I am thinking of a short barreled rifle as well.

I have read the procedures for NFA and it seems that they require fingerprinting which is not required for normal ownership or carry. Are these prints just stored somewhere or are they run through some sort of database prior to licensing?

I am just wondering if the background check for either of these is more intensive or not.

Is there a way to get a comparable background check to the federal one prior to going through the government? That way you would be able ot address any discrepancies without being denied.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

Default Re: PICs and Federal Background check the same?

I'm a little confused by your post. You can purchase or manufacture a short barreled shotgun (SBS) without any sort of license but you need to send an application to ATF either way.

If you purchase one you would "probably" need to have a PICS check done since that is required for buying guns under a certain length in PA. If you buy a normal shotgun you can do so without PICS unless you buy it from a dealer or from out of state. You can then make the shotgun into a SBS without PICS check but still need to file application with ATF. However, if you would fail a PICS check then you are not allowed to own firearms anyway and the penalty could be severe.

(Lackawanna County)

Well I know if I purchase one of these I would expect to go through a PICs check and have no issue with that at all. The firearm I am thinking of falls into the category of AOW so it is only a 5 dollar tax. however I will need to bring the following to have signed off on by the sheriff in my case.

2 form 4s (aka ATF form 5320.4)
    2 FBI FD-258 fingerprint cards with the WV/ATF Firearms/Explo info on them
    1 Certificate of Compliance (you certify you are a citizen and sign it)

I have never been required to be fingerprinted in the past to buy a firearm. Is this a more in depth background check then the PICS?

Is this background check at the same level as it would be to become an FFL by chance? Some states such as Utah seem to do a background check at a federal level for their permits and then none to actually purchase firearms later.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

I have no idea what your sheriff will do but he is not required by any law to perform any background check at all.

You are required to send all of the items you mentioned to the ATF. Not sure why the sheriff wants to see them, except to sign the Form 4 for you.

(Lackawanna County)

So will the BATFE be performing a background check on me to register it or is the fingerprint card just for the registration file?

I thought it might be a more detailed background check like that for an FFL as the BATFE also controls those as well.

I did not want to imply that the sheriff would be doing a check as I could just as easily take the paperwork to a Judge that resides over Felony cases or the attorney general to be signed.
    Thomas Jefferson

(Northampton County)

ATF will absolutely have a background check performed on you. I am not sure if they do it themselves. If you are legal to own a gun you will pass. Unless you have some strange situation, like: you are an alien but have special permission to own firearms; you are confused with someone else during the background check; or any other confusion over your record and legality of owning firearms.
    Last edited by ungawa; February 7th, 2009 at 06:23 PM.