Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Remington 700 custom bolts

does anyone know where i could find custom bolts for the Remington 700 chambered for .308 win.?

thanks

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Remington 700 custom bolts

Not sure myself but all of my Remington 700 questions get answered here: www.snipersparadise.com/

The members are very helpful and know that weapon system well.

Adam
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ssom003 View Post
    i was actully looking for more of a milled or patterned bolt.

also: very nice fs 2000

This guy is starting to get popular on SH. How can you go wrong for $50.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...349#Post933349

I had mine done from HateCA...he has an awesome reputation on SH as well. He did my 5R....the funny thing is that the bolt knob was CNC'd by a fellow PAFOA member. The bolt knob looks very close to the Badger one.

http://www.rdprecision.net/

I cannot find my pictures on this forum, so sorry.

im looking for something like this...google is being of no use to me right now...

Were you looking to buy like a bolt, or just have someone do something similar to yours? That bolt has been or came spiral fluted. Then someone milled out the handle and other parts for the weight relief. Am I right that you don't want like just a bolt handle, but work on the bolt?

that is correct. id like to make mine look a bit better with a milled bolt, or a bolt with a pattern.

Well, I hope that you have a bit of a budget to play with because if you don't, then you're probably not going to be too pleased, lol. You basically have 2 options here and neither of them is that cheap. Some gunsmiths will flute things, and others would rather not mess with it. You could try to find a gunsmith that will flute or spiral flute your bolt. Some people even prefer a double spiral flute in opposing direction so that they make a "diamond" type of pattern. The time you're talking about in the mill, and depending on how deep you want the flutes, it can get a bit pricey. Then if you want them to mill out the holes in the bolt handle for the "cool" factor and the weight relief, that too will not be cheap. I'm gonna guess that you're looking at $250 or more, depending on the smith and if he has already made a jig to hold the bolt for this work. This would also mean that you'd still have a stock bolt handle. If you have it in the lathe already, you're gonna be tempted to just true up the lugs on the bolt. That will then put you in the mess of whether you want to square up the receiver. If you do it, it's gonna cost you more money. If you're not going to square up the receiver, it's probably not really worth doing the lugs if they're off by much; the smith can tell you by how much. The problem with truing the lugs is that the rifle will headspace different and that could mean chamber work. What it comes down to is that it'll start costing lots of money, you're talking about at least in the $500 or more.

The other option is to buy a bolt from someone like PTC, Surgeon, David Tubbs, or someone like that. They all makes bolts that come flutes, spiral fluted and "diamond" fluted. If you choose to buy one of these bolts, the nice part is that you have a custom bolt that was already made this way and can be fitted to have a nice fit in the bolt raceway. It still means that you're going to have to also pay to have the smith fit it in the raceway properly, and some of these bolts come with handles on them, some don't. This means that you might also have to pay the smith to put a handle on the bolt (either solder or weld it), and this will mean that he also has to time the bolt (takes time, no pun intended). This does mean that you get the option of which handle you want on the bolt, even with the custom bolts that do come with handles there are options. Because this is not the bolt that was designed for your gun, they will also need to make some changes and make sure that it headspaces properly. Depending on the specs of you rifle this could mean that it just needs the barrel tightened or loosened a little bit; or it could mean that he has to machine some stuff in the lathe.

Prices with smiths will vary, as will their experience in doing these kinds of services. This probably isn't exactly what you had in mind, especially since it's more of a "wow" factor than anything, but that's where you stand. The customer manufacturers of actions based on the Remington 700 will also make bolts for them, along with PTG. Hope that helps.