Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default A technical question for AR building experts

I am building an AR pistol for the wife and wanted to put a 10.5" barrel on it. I would like to get a handguard that fits flush with with end of the muzzle brake. What length of FF handguard should I get? I guess the key thing I am not familiar with is how much of the barrel is recessed into the upper. I want to build something like this, but in 10.5", not 7".

Also, any idea what make of handguard is on this pistol?

Thanks,
    Al

Default Re: A technical question for AR building experts

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    I am building an AR pistol for the wife and wanted to put a 10.5" barrel on it. I would like to get a handguard that fits flush with with end of the muzzle brake. What length of FF handguard should I get? I guess the key thing I am not familiar with is how much of the barrel is recessed into the upper. I want to build something like this, but in 10.5", not 7".

Also, any idea what make of handguard is on this pistol?

Thanks,
    Al
    I don't consider myself an expert by any means...maybe...enlightened? My thoughts on the matter.

If you're getting a 10.5" barrel you need to start looking into tube lengths of 11" or more, and also length sizes of your intended muzzle device as well. Best thing to do honestly though is to get the barrel first and then get in "in" the upper. Many MFG's market their rails in lengths.

7.0 car
    9.0 mid length
    10.0 for lo pro - just covers middy gas port

etc.

The USGI A2 Flash suppressor is 1.75" so some of it may be exposed.

One option is to go with a YHM free float tube, use a muzzle device that SLIGHTLY extends past the end of the guard and then use the YHM FF handguard cap...might look slick as hell. Another option is to get the cheap rifle length knurled/fluted tubes and then simply hacksaw it to the EXACT size you're looking for. But it wouldn't be railed.

edit: that tube looks like an OLD Gen 1 YHM tube.
    Last edited by Kaos; February 5th, 2009 at 12:15 PM.

(Allegheny County)

I am building an AR pistol for the wife and wanted to put a 10.5" barrel on it. I would like to get a handguard that fits flush with with end of the muzzle brake. Al
    a comp inside a handguard ?
    I am not sure how that would work out.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I don't consider myself an expert by any means...maybe...enlightened? My thoughts on the matter.

If you're getting a 10.5" barrel you need to start looking into tube lengths of 11" or more, and also length sizes of your intended muzzle device as well.

The USGI A2 Flash suppressor is 1.75" so some of it would be exposed.

One option is to go with a YHM free float tube, use a muzzle device that SLIGHTLY extends past the end of the guard and then use the YHM FF handguard cap...might look slick as hell.

edit: that tube looks like an OLD Gen 1 YHM tube.
    Thanks for the input. I'd like to have the entire brake hidden since any protrusion would take away the side view look ... the impression of a HUGE a$$ muzzle .

So for a 10.5" + a 1.75" muzzle brake should be covered by a rifle-length (around 12.5" YHM) forearm correct?

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    It wouldn't...at least for how a compensator is supposed to work. For a flash hider though, it would (should) work well....if the guard is vented it would REALLY kill the flash I would think.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    Yeah, there may be issue with where your weak hand is placed. However, if I put a Noveske KX3 on it, I think it would work to channel all the blast forward. No?

Al

Thanks for the input. I'd like to have the entire brake hidden since any protrusion would take away the side view look ... the impression of a HUGE a$$ muzzle .

So for a 10.5" + a 1.75" muzzle brake should be covered by a rifle-length (around 12.5" YHM) forearm correct?

Al
    In theory - yes.

You did bring up a good point about forearm measurements with respect to the barrel extension though. As I was noting above, the USGI A2 is a good choice because it's a flash hider and NOT a compensator.

You could always go with a thread protector though and then just not worry about a muzzle device...or you can have someone make you a custom flash hider, or you could have AR15barrels.com make you a barrel in a non standard size EXACTLY the way you're looking for.

Yeah, there may be issue with where your weak hand is placed. However, if I put a Noveske KX3 on it, I think it would work to channel all the blast forward. No?

Al

I see where you're going with this.

I like it!

that device will channel the sound and blast forward and it should help with cycling the action as well. You're no doubt going to have to choose YHM for the handguard if you want a flush ending.

(Philadelphia County)

In theory - yes.

You did bring up a good point about forearm measurements with respect to the barrel extension though. As I was noting above, the USGI A2 is a good choice because it's a flash hider and NOT a compensator.

You could always go with a thread protector though and then just not worry about a muzzle device...or you can have someone make you a custom flash hider, or you could have AR15barrels.com make you a barrel in a non standard size EXACTLY the way you're looking for.
    Ooohhhh...the novice me didn't know anything about the custom barrel thing. That would be very ideal! Thanks for the link. If it doesn't work out with standard barrel, I'll pursue that. I don't want to have too much of the blast hitting the inside of the forearm.

Al

(Philadelphia County)

I see where you're going with this.

I like it!

that device will channel the sound and blast forward and it should help with cycling the action as well. You're no doubt going to have to choose YHM for the handguard if you want a flush ending.
    I'm all pumped now! Damn it, my wife needs a rifle first, not a pistol...but the pistol thing looks so freakin' awesome. Thanks for all your help. My questions have been answered.

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast