Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: !!!!! Being Shot At and Mugged !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    Or I can ooze psychotic badasseryness that thugs pick up on and it scares them. ? WTF?
    I'd say something along those lines

I'm a strong believer that one's attitude is a key part of self-defense. Subconsciously, most people can read others' body language and make inferences as to how strong or weak that person is. A criminal will most definitely use body language to read whether a person is a good or bad target.

First off, there is your head position. Is your head up or down as you walk? Up, and it's apparent that you're aware of your surroundings. Down, and it can be concluded that either you're oblivious to your environment, or you're scared and want to avoid making eye contact. Or perhaps you suffer from low self-esteem and you avoid making eye contact because you want to avoid that human connection. We can also look at how you respond to stimuli... do you look up when crossing the street, or when there is a notable sound (siren, car backfiring, etc)? How do you respond after that? Posture also plays into this in a similar fashion.

Then, there's twitchiness. Do you overreact to stimuli? Are you constantly looking around by turning your head? Are your movements sporadic, or constant? How quickly do your eyes move? If you seem nervous, you've basically painted a bullseye on your chest. Some people new to maintaining a high state of situational awareness may fall into the trap of relying too much on sight, and will look nervous as they try to evaluate everything within 360 degrees of themselves. The key is to use reflective objects to look behind you, but also to use other senses (namely hearing) to "see" behind you... but that's another discussion.

Eye contact is a tough one. You want to make eye contact, but not too much to make it look as though you are staring.

Anyhow, y'all probably get my point by now. By projecting a confident, calm image, you will deter a good number of criminals who are looking for easy prey.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(York County)

[QUOTE=headcase;601315]A.) Why is it always an internet tough guy, if someone feels differently about some moral benchmark?[QUOTE]

The "Internet Toughguys" I was referring to are the ones who say they would be "glad" if they killed someone. I certainly meant no judgement on someone's beliefs that differ from mine, but if someone can be glad or happy about killing someone then that concerns me a little bit.

Dave W.
    Last edited by Brown-Bear; February 6th, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    3%

(Berks County)

I don't think anyone is here to dispute the need to be ready to end life in a situation you are put into without viable alternatives.
    You must be ready for the consiquences of ending a life in self defense.

What I take issue with and what I believe others are trying to get accross is that talking about how you will feel after such an event is pointless and reckless when you add thoughts about not feeling guilty or bad about what had to happen. If you kill another human, regardless of the situation there is going to be an emotion sooner or later. What distinguishes us from them is feeling remorse for taking a life. As I stated it is very hard to claim to be better than the bad guy if you have his mentality.

I hope this clears up the little bit of confusion I perceive.

Quote Originally Posted by JDePietro View Post
    I don't think anyone is here to dispute the need to be ready to end life in a situation you are put into without viable alternatives.
    You must be ready for the consiquences of ending a life in self defense.

What I take issue with and what I believe others are trying to get accross is that talking about how you will feel after such an event is pointless and reckless when you add thoughts about not feeling guilty or bad about what had to happen. If you kill another human, regardless of the situation there is going to be an emotion sooner or later. What distinguishes us from them is feeling remorse for taking a life. As I stated it is very hard to claim to be better than the bad guy if you have his mentality.

I hope this clears up the little bit of confusion I perceive.
    No, what distinguishes us from them is not being a VIOLENT CRIMINAL. The OP didn't shoot at, then chase THEM down and rob THEM. They did it to HIM.

I feel NO remorse when an armed robber dies. NONE. I'm GLAD when armed robbers die. It means they won't rob or kill anyone ELSE. It perhaps puts the idea into the heads of the rest that armed robbery is DANGEROUS... for THEM. Maybe their buddies will start looking for gainful employment, or if nothing else, criminal activities which don't involve violence.

I ABSOLUTELY refuse to be emotionally exploited post-mortem by a degenerate piece of filth who tried to physically exploit me and got what all of his kind deserve. You bet I'd feel an "emotion" for somebody who pointed a loaded gun at me, HATRED.

"There but for the grace of god DON'T go I." I'm not the one robbing people at gunpoint. Why? Because I CHOOSE not to. If you CHOOSE to wantonly endanger other people's lives, you also CHOOSE to incur the risk of being shot. Man up and OWN that. But then if you're willing to do THAT, you're probably willing to get honest work.

Don't want to get shot? DON'T BE AN ARMED ROBBER. Want unconditional sympathy? Steal a dog.
    Je suis Charles Martel.

(Lawrence County)

Just a little side note, a car door, is not the best thing in the world to hide behind... Even a 380 can go through a car door... lol

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Monroe County)

Glad Op is well, Dont let it consume you but let it make you more aware than you already were.

You can't always be ready but you can be prepared.

Have a good Spring guys and girls were in for a treat this week

Paul
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pvandunk View Post
    Glad Op is well, Dont let it consume you but let it make you more aware than you already were.

You can't always be ready but you can be prepared.

Have a good Spring guys and girls were in for a treat this week

Paul
    Thanks, that is nice to hear or should I say read

(Monroe County)

In life there are no absolutes! We each take what we learn in life and use it as we see fit as we travel along. For you to even carry a weapon means that at one time you made a conscious decision to protect your selves and your family from harm buy using deadly force if necessary. To carry a firearm without ever intending to use it would be a sign that you should not carry. I would feel remorse or guilty in very few situations and those would be if I screwed up and hurt or killed an innocent person. But if some gene pool floater chose to challenge me or my family then I would sleep well and long if they stopped drawing breath and that I know for certainty. Taking a life comes along with knowing that you will pay the price if you chose wrongly. As Clint Eastwood once said “ A man’s got to know his limitations”.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456